Skyline Owners Forum banner

Getting r33 gtst back on road after 18 months

Tags
r33 rb25
1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  BennyT 
#1 ·
Hi guys I am after some advice on how I can get my car safely back on the road after not being driven or started for 18 months. I lost my license due to medical reasons and the car has been kept outside. Due to circumstances the car has not been started or driven in just over 18 months.

Before the car went of the road it has a major service where it had all fluids/oils changed, new discs and pads, cam belt done, plugs. It also was resprayed and completely stripped back of rust under neath and sealed. I probably got to driver her for 300 miles before I lost my license.

Other than the obvious oil change , what else do I need to make sure is changed before I start her up. Do I need to replace all of the fluids or does gearbox oil , break fluid, coolant last while being sat? I want to start her up safe but also don't want to throw away funds on anything that isn't required considering it was all fresh just before the car was taken off the road.

What is the best way to drain all of the current fuel from the car as I understand that petrol can perish over time and I do not want to start her up without fresh petrol.

Also my tyres were about a year old with around 1000 miles on them so they should be ok as well ? Or would the weight of the car damaged them.

I know I should have done certian things to prevent all these but at the time my life was in chaos after the medical **** but I refused to let go of the car so did what I could to keep it.

Any tips people can give me in general will be really helpful. I am ok with doing some of the work myself but I am after expertise as I have never had a car sit this long.

Thanks

Sam

See less See more
#2 ·
Last year I pulled mine out of storage. It had been sitting for nearly 5 years :) I cranked it over for a while with the CAS unplugged to get some oil circulating, but otherwise nothing else. The old petrol was fine. I drove it straight around the motorway to the garage, for a complete service (including timing belt) of course but driving (easy) was not a problem. My rear tyres were old anyway, so I changed them, the front were almost new before I left the car, and they seem ok. However, there was a vibration, that I think was flat spots on the front tyres, which now seems to have disappeared.

It's a shame you had a load of work done just before going off road. You'll want to do oil and brake fluid as a minimum, maybe flush the coolant too. Not sure about timing belt. I wouldn't imagine it's a problem but you might want to get it checked at some point. Otherwise just see how it drives.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Really 5 years and was absolutely fine? That's really positive news for me then. I thought everything turns to sh*t quick quickly when not driven haha. But that's very positive. Glad you had no problems with yours.

I have heard about flat spots taking a few miles to settle down so I think they will be ok. Well it will need to go to the garage to get the MOT done so I will get them to check it over. Just hoping the brakes will be fine to drive .

Sam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.