Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First things first, you will need to obtain your race licence!

To do this you need to get your 'Go Racing' pack. This can be bought online from places like Demon Tweakes -

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=BOKARDS8

once your pack arrives, you need to learn all about your flags and what they mean, watch the DVD/Video as well. you will then need to book a medical with your GP (they will charge and this will vary from doctor to doctor!).

Once you have obtained a clean medical, there is a form inside the pack that the doctor needs to complete and sign (make sure this is signed!) as part of the medical.

once you have the above you need to book the ARDS test itself. you can do this at any number of circuits like Silverstone for example -

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/trackdays/trackdays-ards.asp?&msvcode=ards

the test comprises a written style exam (tick box when I took it and probably still is!) and a practical. DO NOT GET any flag questions incorrect, this is an immediate fail on the theory paper....when doing the practical, be consistent and aware of others around you.....you dont get bonus points for going as fast as **** around the circuit.... :)

hopefully now you should be in possesion of your pass, once this is done you need to apply for your licence itself..

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/Initial_Application_Form.pdf

when the licence is received, then you need to join a local sprint/hill climb club like the following -

http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what you need -

Helmet
race suit
gloves
boots

All the above need to be to regulation specification, you will need to check the Bluebook that you receive for each year to see what the specifications are.

You can add to the above, ie nomex under garments, hans device etc. but for sprint/hillclimb these are not mandatory.

your car -

This is the nice bit. you dont need to do much for production car group!

You will need to make a timing breaker which has to be certain measurements, and has to be fixed to the front of the car at a certain height (this is to break the light on the timing gear when you start/finish).

like the one on this mini -

Attachments

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
started having a look and the production class, mot and tax etc needed. are there genrally restrictions on the modifications to the vehicle? struggled to find the answers on the hsa website.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will have a look in the blue book later for you, generally you need to keep the silhouette of the car as factory, ie no high spoilers. The interior must be in place, the CC's must remain as factory. You will also have to run with list 1A tyres (the full list is in the blue book).

what have you done to the vehicle so far?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
so far its only coilovers, exhaust, induction and map soon. plus rebuilt turbo possibly. the car ill becoming a demo car though due to a company that should be taking off with me and a mate, so its going to be probably to full on. tho the plan is for it still to go on track, but in the end become a dedicated track car and a diffrent demo car made. so dependent on time i suppose when able. or i get another car for track/sprint etc

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
it wont be to loud as going for some track days in it. the problem comes with due to the company bussiness, a fairly large ICE install and in-car computer etc.

we were disscussing last night of getting a purpose track car. and reckoning on a pulsar gti-r. Ben (my business partner) has racing experience so will be good for building the car with. so may try use that car.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
thought id add to this as ive just finished jumping through all the required hoops

things you need to compeat in a sprint...

msa speed licence national b ..no test required just fill in the online form pay your money£37 i think and wait for it to arive.

membershipto a local car club that runs sprints. i picked liverpool motor club as there part of the liverpool and chester speed championship.

an msa spec helmet.. a bike helmet just wont do.. it needs to be sa2005 comliant for next year thats flame proof lining. there are some bs numbers tha are also compliant.. budget around £200.. a £90 non flame proof will be ok for this year but come december its only ok for trackdays.so better to spend the extra for somthing that you can keep using next year.

car wise if your cars pretty standard you can enter the a class production car youl be in a3 wich is over 2lt..

i have coilover suspension wich puts me in modified production and means you can do a lot more within the rules.. but also means if like me you have a basic car with coilovers and little else your up against things with lots of lightweight aftermarket pannels and trick suspension. basically in this class as long as its road legal its allowed.

for the rest of the car you need . painted towing eyes and tow stickers above the eyes..
a sticker on your ignition with an arrow saying off

road legal tyres . road slicks not allowed this year but should be next year so toyo 888's are out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.