Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have been told as of April 23rd My contract wont be getting renew'd

Nothing to do with my performance etc... just no money to renew my contract.

What really BOILS my piss is i know that theres people there who do just about nothing and who dont want to be there, but as there permenant they stay over me :cya: on reports i am usually the top performer in our section

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
That's tough and I know what you mean being a contracter myself and having been in the same position myself a few years ago.

What is it you do?

----------------------

Holy **** this was my 2,000th post :dogpile: !!

·
Shake and Bake !!
491 Posts
Talking of boiling piss....dont want to get up anyones ar*e here but just want to open this for discussion.....sorry to hear your having job issues, there is a lot of it around at the moment.
Contractors by their very nature should be temporary, to fill a gap in company expertise, by either teaching existing permy employees how to do it, or fulfill the required roll and then bugger off at the end of what should be a years contract depending on the job. Bear in mind most (I'm not saying all) contractors get paid at least twice what a permy does, sometimes much more, ie, 80k+

So why do I always hear contractors moaning about their contracts being up when permy's get to stay ? Surely the very nature of your work is temporary ? I'm a permy because I favour medium term security over a short term inflated salary, suddenly why do contractors think because they work hard they are value for money ? Contractors have to work hard to justify the inflated salary. I've got several mates who are contractors who got laid off, some of them have been working on twice my wage for about 5 years or more, so shouldn't really be complaining, but....they do. Its amazing to me.
I appreciate there are contractors out there who dont get paid twice what a permy does and know those as well, but it begs the question why would you be a hired mercenary with no perks and no holiday for the same money as a permy ? Seems mad to me.

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'd much prefer a permenant job but there likegold dust at the minute :(

i work in IT Support :D

·
Chris
460 Posts
Im in IT too and theres no work around here. I havent even made enough money to pay tax. Thats how bad it is.

·
Drift Moderator
1,935 Posts
Sorry to hear it Mark :( I'm a permy but my job has been uncertain for a while due to first re-structuring and then the credit crunch. I was so close to going contracter because I was hacked off with never being sure what would happen. Touch wood things are settling now but I'm never really sure. Seems like its been this way ever since I left the forces three years ago.

·
****** FOR A YEAR
1,073 Posts
Im in IT too and theres no work around here. I havent even made enough money to pay tax. Thats how bad it is.
I'm an IT salesman for a distributor and before i was employed they restructured. They payed off the dead wood and employed people who were efficient at their jobs. I was at first given a 3 month probation but after 6 weeks were signed permanently. Because the team has ben cut by a third they are paying a lot less moohlah out in wages, so when i was employed my wages were instantly £5.5k higher than the previous two girls who were apparently useless. Since i have been here i have single handedly sold more in february than they did any other month for 13 months.......

......so the IT business is good for me at the moment.

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
mugwuffin has a good point but I think everyone's allowed to complain a bit when they've lost their job no matter what their employment status is.

Contractors have feelings too!

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,159 Posts
temp staff or contractors or even full time staff ....its not good for anyone to lose there job's ...hope you find something else as soon as...

my work paid off 10 agency staff this week..they only told them at 4:45pm that they were finished at 5pm.and on a monday too..not nice and what makes it even worse is that the agency is owned by the same company as owns my work...

·
Registered
922 Posts
Not good news Mark, I hope you get something sorted out quickly. Half expected you and Lemsip around the house this morning.

·
R33 GTS-T "Godzuki"
1,104 Posts
im in construction so i feel for you, its constantly hanging over all of us. if its any consolation i was out of work for one week before i found another job, i have since been offered 3. there is work but you have got to really push for it. i got this job b phoning up 3 times,dropping in a cv and generally being a nuisance. get your name everywhere, and always post a cv and then phone the next day to ask if they got it...gets u rememebered .good luck.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
damn that sucks! sorry dude....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts