Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice RSP do a 500 pony kit and am thinking of going down that road OR selling the Skyline and going for something a bit newer with an equal amount of power.

However, as I've grown quite fond of the old girl I wondered if anyone who had been down a similar route could give me their thoughts? Currently I'm running 318 mapped by RSP, with FMIC, zorst, boost controller, uprated front rotors, yellowstuff, DOT 5.1 etc.

Thoughts and total costs incurred therefore appreciated!!

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
How long is a piece of string? :)

Ideally, for reliable 500bhp I'd want a forged bottom end, uprated oil pump, rebuilt head with new head gasket, proper intercooler and only then the 500bhp turbo kit. Add to that some 740cc injectors, proper fuel pump like bosch 044, preferably an aftermarket ecu with map sensor and of course a clutch that can take all that torque.

IMO that's the only reliable way to achieve that power.
It's not going to be cheap and it shouldn't IMO but it all depends what you want from your car? Are you bored of it as it is?

·
... is modifying the driver
7,524 Posts
Steve, I've looked into this as I was planning to get to around 500bhp and after a lot of research on here and other places and talking to people then doing the numbers etc I've going for 420-450bhp, for that extra 50bhp you have to do so much more work and spend so much more money I cant really personally justify it (bit gutted lol) so my shopping list for a good safe 450 (ish) ! is :

Grade 8 spark plugs
Uprated turbo (R34 GTT - rebuilt hybrid)
555cc injecotrs
Z32 AFM
Coilpacks (RSP)
Head gasket (1.5mm steel)

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Steve, I've looked into this as I was planning to get to around 500bhp and after a lot of research on here and other places and talking to people then doing the numbers etc I've going for 420-450bhp, for that extra 50bhp you have to do so much more work and spend so much more money I cant really personally justify it (bit gutted lol) so my shopping list for a good safe 450 (ish) ! is :

Grade 8 spark plugs
555cc injecotrs
Z32 AFM
Coilpacks (RSP)
Spot on!!!:iagree:

·
Registered
8,411 Posts

Grade 8 spark plugs
555cc injecotrs
Z32 AFM
Coilpacks (RSP)
You forgot the fuel pump!

And the clutch!

And the BRAKES!!!

·
7,524 Posts
You forgot the fuel pump!

And the clutch!

And the BRAKES!!!
Have these already but yep if you don't have uprated clutch \ fuel pump \ brakes \ suspension then you will need 'em !

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grade 8 spark plugs
Uprated turbo (R34 GTT-rebuilt hybrid or RSP hybrid - which is the best for spoole v power?)
555cc injecotrs
Z32 AFM
Coilpacks (RSP)
Fuel pump
Clutch
Brakes
Remap?

What about cooling? Do you need to upgrade the rad and have a thermo controlled oil cooler?

I would probably need larger tyres (esp rears) as I'm runnning 215's all round?

Wonder also what the MPG would be like at this tune?

So, this has gotta cost in the region of 3.5K plus?

Starting to think this will run out v expensive! Seriously thinking about an S Type R. Had one out the other day for a test drive and it IS awesome with the CATS suspension and the supercharged V8 - no lag! Bit of an old mans car styling wise and I don't much like the J gate ZF auto box, but you can pick up an 8 year old for around 10-12K or go for an XKR for similar money.

I've spent 6.5k already on the Skyline (purchase price + mods) and if spend more I'll never get the money back. And it's 14 years old.

Decisions, decisions....

·
7,524 Posts
Is an expensive hobby bud

Read that the R34 GTT turbo is slightly larger that the stock R33 and holds boost a little more, no major difference but managed to get hold of one 2nd hand the other day so grabbed it

Ive got all my parts coming to around 2k, Ive spent a hell of a lot more on booze in my years and got repaid with hangovers and an empty wallet and nothin to show for it lol !!

I just want a good all round track car, this goal gives me the motivation and reason for taking the car to 400+bhp

·
Seasoned Member
4,032 Posts
yea its a better pasttime than drinking, but only a little bit,but you knew that before you bought so welcome to the world of skyline ripoffmanship,if you can sift through all the bulshit and garage plugging on here its possibly worth the effort,fast cars are always nice....and expensive!

·
Points don't mean prizes!
2,029 Posts
Never buy a can and modify it expecting to make money it. Most of the time once you get past the purchase of the car you start to loose money. Do it for the love and the gratitude you get when Mr Porsche drivers pulls along side looking flash and then proceeds to get whipped by an old Datsun :bigthumb:

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
What about cooling? Do you need to upgrade the rad and have a thermo controlled oil cooler?

I would probably need larger tyres (esp rears) as I'm runnning 215's all round?

Wonder also what the MPG would be like at this tune?
Rad upgrade is a good idea and cheap but not a must!

Oil cooler is another good idea but again doesn't need to be a thermo controlled one.

Larger tyres would be a very good idea, 235 or 255 ideally.

MPG is a bit like how long is a bit of string, I can milk 33mpg out of mine or go as low as 5.4mpg round the track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts