Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Seasoned Member
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife had been telling me for a while that she'd seen a car polisher for sale at Lidl's and she wanted to buy it for me. At first I said no it will be crap lol. Anyway she decided to get it for me and asked if she could get a refund if it wasn't what I wanted.
When she brought it home I thought that it wasn't that bad and it would be ok. I open the box and found that it had no Bonnets included ( it should have come with 2 ).
My wife took it back to the store but they only had one more and that had the bonnets missing too.
Well they gave my wife a refund and the security guard said to my wife " here have this" and gave her the polisher for free.
I know it's not professional quality but I'm sure I should be able to get some decent results with it. My paint work is quite good so all I'm looking for is a good finish so I went down to Halfords and bought some Meguiars Deep crystal system.
So this is what I've got.

I managed to pick up some bonnets to fit the polisher from halfords so as soon as the weather picks up again I'll be putting my new toy to the test.
I'm not going 'all out' and using different cutting grades so I hope this 3 step polish will give me a good result

·
Seasoned Member
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cant complain for free! lol nice work... so i presume your going to polish every1s car on here for free lol....
Wish I could get the polish for free!!:dogpile:

Really looking forwards to spending a good day cleaning and polishing the bodywork to see how well it comes up.
Looks like Wednesday should be dry so I'll get some before and after pictures taken and post them up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i had looked at this but i am still looking around to see what else is about before i buy the set i am going to try ,let me know how it goes !

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,159 Posts
If I was you I would get onto a detailing forum or find a local detailer get a lesson or two and buy a DA polisher , that's what I did and totally worth it....

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I have one of these not same make used it twice and has now been sat in my shed for last 3 years prefer doing it by hand if I'm honest.
I've yet to try a da one

·
Seasoned Member
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got to agree with all the comments. I watched a few good detailing videos on YouTube about rotary polishing and I thought " do I really need to go so far"??
The paint work is free from swirls and holograms so i opted to do this job by hand.
My thumbs and fingers are sore from all of the work needed to use the Step One paint cleaner.
I've got to say that I was amazed at how good it is.. I could see the paint getting whiter as i worked along.
My car had loads of silhouette marks around the windows, lights ( hard to get at areas)and especially the chrome boot badge. No matter how hard I tried to clean the car this grime wouldn't budge. I thought that the car was going to need a re-spray in the near future.
No way did I expect to get the results that i did.. so much so that my son said today that the car looked different!

I'm going to wash the car and post some pictures up in the morning ( I'm still in Night shift mode right now:spank:). The paint is gleaming and the car looks very 'sharp' and not 13 years old :)

The Deep Crystal paint cleaner is bloody hard work but the end result is well worth the effort. I took me around 9 hours from start to finish which included giving the car a good wash and having to wait to put the wax on because it stated raining and I had to leather and dry the car again.
Step Two Polish didn't make any difference when I tried it on a small area so I moved straight on to the Step Three Carnauba Polish.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
cool look forward to some pictures i remember when i first did mine when it was white couldn't believe the difference but is bit hard to show in pictures unless you do part of panel then take a picture if that make sense

·
Seasoned Member
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cool look forward to some pictures i remember when i first did mine when it was white couldn't believe the difference but is bit hard to show in pictures unless you do part of panel then take a picture if that make sense
When I was cleaning and polishing my car it was far too dull to take any decent pictures that showed any difference ( it rained and I had to stop, my neighbours think that I'm mad lol ).

The weather is set to be good for the early evening today so I'll get some good pictures including some close up shots.

·
Seasoned Member
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gave the car and good wash but I thought I was wasting my time as it was still overcast and drizzling but the forecast was right and the Sun has come out.
So here's a few close up pictures of my paintwork looking very bling bling.

·
Seasoned Member
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks awesome mate. I'm not sure if mines the deep crystal stuff but I got meguairs carnauba wax it's thick stuff but really good! 9 hours is a long time bet you were cream crackered afterwards lol!
It was the washing and Step One paint cleaning that took a long time, year's of grime was built up in the hard to get to areas. When I bought the car I could tell that it wasn't a 'much loved' Skyline by the last owner in Japan.
One thing that is recomended is that the paint work is clean before using a Carnauba wax
Carnauba wax is really good stuff and only needs doing twice a year. I think that I won't need to use the Step One paint cleaner again this year or for a very long time.. well worth the effort:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts