Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been discussed before but I need a definite answer from someone who has experience on this.

Can we clear up once for all, ideally backed up with dyno print-outs, what's the power gains on a stage1 car fitted with a Greddy plenum? Oh and it has to be a real Greddy plenum, no a chinese knock off, neither a modded stock plenum.

I'm seriously thinking of getting one but I need to know what I should expect out of it. My engine has stock internals, stock turbo at 0.85bar, GTR fmic, RSP stage1 ECU, new coilpacks, new plugs, induction kit, downpipe, decat, catback blablabla... Dynoed at 310bhp atf and 260lb/ft.

I'm thinking of getting 550cc injectors, z32 maf, the GReddy plenum and RSP custom remap. What sort of power should I expect? I plan keeping the stock turbo at 0.85 or 0.90 bar until it dies then go for bigger one.

·
Seasoned Member
4,032 Posts
I dont have much expierence on this toppic only what i think and that is that you would probably loose some power if you fitted it to a car with a stock turbo due to the shorter air runners on the greedy,i am quite sure there is no need for it and the other stuff you mentioned is useless without a turbo upgrade

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Stav, there is no real point in fitting a GReddy plenum to a stage 1 car. The GReddy plenum is very big and it might even make you loose torque. Even with rebuilt hybrid turbo it's not gonna necessarily give you lots more power. Discussed this with Damo at RSP a while ago. Let's have a detailed chat about this on friday! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
as it is stock with the intake pipes going across the top of the engine wouldnt the greddy lower the charge temps and make the engine safer though?

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
just because the oem pipes go over the engine does not mean they heat the air up one bit. the air going through those pipes does not exactly stay sitting there.

if you want a different inlet get the plazmaman one as they will give around 20bhp just by fitting it. rsp saw a 50bhp increase with there 400bhp kit just by swapping the intercooler and inlet to plazmaman one

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's an interesting discussion. So far, some think it will only increase performance due to my lightened wallet (nice one!), some think it will make the car slower and some think that another make like plazmaman will increase power (I've seen that thread Ian, thanks). But's what the fundamental difference between the plazmaman and the Greddy? I doubt Greddy have released a product that does nothing at all and Plazmaman (who are less known) have something extremely similar that magically adds 50bhp to the same car.

I guess there's only one way to find out and it's to buy it :D

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
plazmaman and greddy inlets are totally different

greddy is a complete unit as in you replace both half's of the inlet ( look in apex's thread for pics )

the plazmaman one you just replace the top section with a nice smooth alloy one.

oh and the plazmaman one i would say is actually bigger at the throttle body end than the greddy one

·
AKA RSP
4,762 Posts
You will lose torque and power with the greddy intake unless you are going for a big power. We have not done side by side tests but lower power cars with a greddy plenum always seem to have less torque and low down power. We have however used them on 600+bhp gts/gtt`s and have had good results.

The Plazmaman plenum had a much smaller volume and uses the standard lower plenum which gives you longer runners and I feel this is what helps make these plenums work. Every car we have used a plazmaman plenum on has made great midrange torque.

Richard

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, I'll look into the plazmamans then. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I decided to go for the plazmaman one.
I was hoping to get my stage one GTST Dynoed after fitting so i could see what difference it made. Unfortunatly its not arrived yet (only been on order 3 months!!!!).

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3 months?!! :(

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Yep 3 months.
But have been told it will be here on the 21st.
Looking forward to fitting it over christmas as fitting my topmount has made under the bonnet messy lol.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Make sure to take some pics and post them on here :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
You will lose torque and power with the greddy intake unless you are going for a big power. We have not done side by side tests but lower power cars with a greddy plenum always seem to have less torque and low down power. We have however used them on 600+bhp gts/gtt`s and have had good results.

The Plazmaman plenum had a much smaller volume and uses the standard lower plenum which gives you longer runners and I feel this is what helps make these plenums work. Every car we have used a plazmaman plenum on has made great midrange torque.

Richard
which intake would you recomend for around the high 400 / low 500 bhp? plazmaman or greddy?

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
I'd say Plazman

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rising Sun Performance sells them, or direct from plazmaman

1 - 19 of 19 Posts