Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my greddy profec spec2 through fron nengun yesterday and fitted it,today i drove the car for the first time with the aim of attempting to set it up.....

Using the base settings ie
SET 0
GAIN 5
START BOOST 0
WARNING 085 (set in psi)

As soon as i gave it some stick the boost went and peaked at 10.6 !
Baring in mind its an oe turbo thats not much cop!

OK so lets see what happens when i turn the boost controller off - peaked again at 10.5

Now im starting to get stressed.I turned the hks actuator down basically as long as the rod would go to lower the boost and still the same.
Right dig out the original actuator that will sort all my worries out i thought.Nope still the bleedin same with the oe actuator fitted.

As far as im concerned the greddy is plumbed in fine but i am going to give it another once over as soon as i post this but i dont expect to find any problems as such.
The only difference between mine and the install instructions is there feed from the intercooler pipe feeds the reed valve before air passes through the intercooler whereas ive used the oe actuator/boost solenoid which is taken after air has passed through the intercooler.(hope that makes sense.)

So anyone got any ideas where ive gone wrong?Im hoping its me rather than a faulty unit :shakehead:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rising Sun Performance said:
Sounds like its plumbed incorrectly. Check you are using the correct ports on the solonoid and they are the correct way round.

Richard
Ive been and double checked and its all correct as per the instructions.
com > actuator
no > intercooler pipework (the oe take off nipple thing)
nc > unused (but unplugged)

Wish you where closer at times Richard!

·
AKA RSP
4,762 Posts
Thats the correct way. Are you sure the HKS actuator hasn`t got a too high a base pressure? Ie Connect a pipe from the intercooler pipe straight to the Actuator and see what the boost is then. This will give you the minimum boost you will be able to make. If its lower than 10.6 the boost controler maybe faulty.

Richard

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well ive already swapped over to the standard actuator and its still reading similar high figures.
Will try as you suggest and run a pipe between the actuator and intercooler pipe a mo and see what happens.
Thanks

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm
Just tried that and strangely with the standard oe actuator it peaked out at 10.2
Any ideas what could be causing all these problems?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just nipped home from work and after replacing the fuel filter ive gone around all the intercooler joints and vaccum pipes with carb cleaner and no difference in engine tone so im assuming theres no air leaks.
Any ideas what next?

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
I noticed after fitting mine ( when i realised that i was meant to leave the 3rd hole unplugged! ) that i was not getting less than 0.8 on just the actuator, i.e controller off. Was told that this just what my actuator created and varied from car to car so now keep the controller off most of the time, have LO set for about 0.9 and HI set for 1.0 ( pursuit mode only! )

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DarthPalmer said:
I noticed after fitting mine ( when i realised that i was meant to leave the 3rd hole unplugged! ) that i was not getting less than 0.8 on just the actuator, i.e controller off. Was told that this just what my actuator created and varied from car to car so now keep the controller off most of the time, have LO set for about 0.9 and HI set for 1.0 ( pursuit mode only! )
Similar situation then apart from you got 0.8 and i was getting 10 psi+

Thing is im not happy to let the turbo goto 10psi consistently given its still the oe ceramic turbo.

I have been doing the same as you and running it with the controller off.I just think its a very expensive way of "just" monitoring your boost levels.
Its like some post people have mentioned putting cats back in etc to stop the exhaust being so free flowing but to me thats defeteing the object.
Why buy an expensive electronic boost controller if its only going to continually give you problems.I wish i hadnt messed around and just kept my £90 hks adjustable actuator.At least it was running safe and stable then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts