Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hows a going lads this may well be a silly question but here goes. im changing the clutch in my r32 gtr everything going grand and the gearbox is now off and clutch out. wasnt to bad of a job.mate came in then and told me i should have marked the position of the drive shafts with a bit of paint.like going to the front and rear diff.am i after f**king up or is he just winding me up. must take flywheel off next to get it skimmed anything i should look out for there.thanks in advance

·
Seasoned Member
7,044 Posts
hows a going lads this may well be a silly question but here goes. im changing the clutch in my r32 gtr everything going grand and the gearbox is now off and clutch out. wasnt to bad of a job.mate came in then and told me i should have marked the position of the drive shafts with a bit of paint.like going to the front and rear diff.am i after f**king up or is he just winding me up. must take flywheel off next to get it skimmed anything i should look out for there.thanks in advance
absolute poppycock

just make sure it all goes back together with the right torque settings

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
had a look at flywheel today its fairly well scorched in places. would i get away with skimming or replace it altogether.???

·
Registered
177 Posts
he would be meaning the position of the propshaft joints.
ive changed half my rear prop and not noticed any major vibration.
it would only cause probs if it vibrates quite bad and is left uncorrected. not a big job to undo the 4 bolts and turn it a bit if it was wrong.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
r32 gtr clutch

just an update. new paddle clutch also new release bearing and new clutch cover plate bought from technoclutch in the uk. everything back together. drove it last night everything grand.no slipping. how ever drove today and in 2nd and 3rd gear it started to slip not under much load just comong on boost is all. also got flywheel skimmed and torque all bolts correctly. has this ever happened to any one or can anyone shed light on wat they think is happening. ive done a good few clutches before never had this happen. :confused:

·
Administrator
25,974 Posts
if its slipping then the pressure plate isnt strong enough to clamp the plate buddy

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Did you by any chance apply grease to the splines on the gearbox input shaft?
(some people do it to help the gearbox slide into the clutch plate) I have seen it done before and it just ends up spraying off the shaft onto the clutch when driving, which will make it slip etc.

·
Administrator
25,974 Posts
Did you by any chance apply grease to the splines on the gearbox input shaft?
(some people do it to help the gearbox slide into the clutch plate) I have seen it done before and it just ends up spraying off the shaft onto the clutch when driving, which will make it slip etc.
ermmmmmmmmmmmm :uhoh:

honestly i dont do that :rofl:

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
ermmmmmmmmmmmm :uhoh:

honestly i dont do that :rofl:
i have seen some where they must have used half a tin lol, made a right mess.

Nearly as bad as the bloke who sprayed his front brakes with wd40 to stop them squealing

·
Administrator
25,974 Posts
i have seen some where they must have used half a tin lol, made a right mess.

Nearly as bad as the bloke who sprayed his front brakes with wd40 to stop them squealing
i jave seen some bad jobs in my time as well and i actually sprayed my brakes with wd40 so the discs dont rust while its sitting without its gearbox...... so who is for a passenger ride when i take it out then?????:rofl:

we get a mot testing guide thing sent through to the work and it shows you horror stories from cars that get sent for an mot and one pic eas the brake pedal had a bungee cord wrapped round it and the dash to pull the pedal back up as a wheel cylinder was burst so lost all fluid and the owner never fixed it jut bungeed the pedal up. he still drove the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
If you mean techniclutch then not surprised as well not sure if anyone else on here has used them and dont mean to be a party pooper but way back when i have a Ford Orion and i put a RS Turbo forged engine in etc running 220bhp i bought a Organic techniclutch from them and they said fine with power i have and torque so fitted it and slipped like bugger and was well F**ked off. As gearbox back out and then bought a ARP organic clutch all good ;)

Should of learned not to use them again but thought oh well maybe one of them things so when i had a Nissan S13 200sx running around 230bhp i saw one of there clutches on Ebay and said organic clutch power and torque rating 330bhp and like 340lbft so thought good price it was and do me for future power upgrades. Fitted it and slipped :Uzi: Mother F**kers i thought so story goes never will buy from them again.

Thats just my thoughts maybe some people have had good things to say about them and maybe so but well they are quite cheaply priced and think thats why both my clutches have been poo.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
r32 gtr clutch

now i have to admit i did grease the input shaft a bit. will these dry/burn off with a few miles on the clock. at the back of my mind i do have some doubts bout the quailty of this piece of kit ive bought:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Wouldnt worry about the grease if only a little i wouldnt worry about it. What i would say as you have more likely the clutch thats fitted as you say you have done a few clutches and well both my cars that have had a techniclutch well not good at all. Also they dont have a warranty as i tried and just said probably abuse on the clutch and trust me allowed at least 500-800miles until giving some stick.

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
yeah a very light smear of copper grease or similar should be ok.
From what has been posted about techniclutch i would say its a shoddy part to be honest

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
clutch

wat are my chances of getting my money back i wonder. the clutch simply isnt up to the job they told me it would handle 450hp no problem and my car at the moment isnt near that at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts