Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, im going to see the R32 GTSt tommorow and was wondering what i need to look out for ?

the car is G reg so some things are probably knakard, but im thinking more along the lines of the auto box. im guessing a new auto box will set me back a fair few rupees :p so how do i check to see if its working properly ? same for the turbo, i had a saab 9000 Turbo16.....EVERYTHING imaginable broke on it part form the turbo, so i don't know the signs of a failing turbo.

anything else i should look out for ?

thanks guys

phrozen

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Mate....

Have a look on www.skylinegts.co.uk for some general tips on R32 GTS's.

www.rb20det.com is bl**dy good too.

SOrry if some of this is teaching you to suck eggs.

THings to look for....

Check all the belts on the engine for wear. Find out when the timing belt (cam belt) was last changed. Its a few hundred quid to change them all. Think it needs doing evey 49000 miles (roughly).

Got a speedo conversion? Look for oil leaks on the drivers side of the 'box where the speedo lead connects.

open the boot and check under the carpet and spare wheel for corrosion.

Then, open the wee side panels in the rear wings (inside the boot at the outside from the light clusters. Stick your hand down into the wing to the bottom. Probably full of water. Common problem when the drain holes clog, just check there is no corrosion (mine is a G plate and was full of water but no rust anywhere (just off the boat though)).

Good look in the rear arches. Front arches have a plastic liner which makes it difficult to check.

Check the track rod ends aren't goosed. Only about £140 to replace though so not major.

On www.rb20det.com (gtst-lad's site) get the diagnostic details for the ECU and run a diagnostic if the seller lets you (can't see why he wouldn't). You'll need a large headed + screwdriver and a 10mm (maybe 12) socket, plus a small plain screwdriver. ECU is behind the plastic trim in front of the passenger door in the footwell under the glovebox. AFM's ain't cheap - but I have a spare!

Check the auto box fluid. Put some on your fingers and rub it to feel for graininess - not good if its grainy/lumpy.

Don't expect the boost gauge to read full scale when foot on floor. Mine stops at about 2/3rds until I hit 1 bar when it wakes up and shoots up the scale. (stock boost is .75 I think).

Give the oil a good feel for graininess too. Ask what oil (and weight - factory is 7.5W40) is used and how often changed (engine oil that is). 6000miles maximum is my recommendation.

General stuff...

switch on the ignition and turn the lights on full beam and then try to start it. Should start normally. If not - crap battery (which could mean sha**ed alternator).

Don't worry about a high pitch tick from the engine, injectors are pretty loud.

Is the air filter standard? If the car has just been imported it is probably filthy (unless it was in a container on the boat). If its been here a while and its still filthy then its not been well looked after.

Remember - You will probably need at least a Thatcham CAT 1 for insurance. Does it have one? They ain't cheap.

Duck under the rear and look for a HICAS system (2 arms like steering arms connecting from an actuator on the rear of the diff to the rear of the rear hubs. If it has HICAS, check the gaiters are not screwed/taped together. Look for fluid loss from the diff while you are under there.

CHeck all the body panels line up and the gaps are constant, build quality in terms of panel fit is very good for 1990 cars. If they don't align properly, its been bent.

If it clunks going into gear more than a normal Auto - could be a problem in the box (or low on fluid).

Start her up and put on full lock and listen for grinding from the PAS pump..... Might not like the last 1/4 turn of the wheel which is acceptable, but should be no unusual noise up to that point.

Check for screwed brake discs.

Jeez..... I could go on and on....

Good luck mate, gets some pics up ASAP if you buy her!

Remember, we are all here for loads of advice!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheerz mate!!

im printing the stuff off as i type, il be taking it with me when i go and see it !!

thanks again, really appreciate it !!

if i buy it, pix will be up ASAP !!

phrozen

1 - 3 of 3 Posts