Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im unsure on all of this so looking for abit of advice,

It would make sense to me that the gearbox on a R33 GTR has a better stronger gearbox with a longer ratio, would it fit a R33 GTST and would it be worth changing my GTST gearbox to a GTR box?

·
Administrator
25,966 Posts
plus gtr gearboxes are famous for having weak 3rd gears and syncros

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no im not having problems, someone just mentioned to me that they thought the box revved higher and had better speeds out of the gears so the idea hit me that would it be better than the GTST box so wasnt sure if its poss to do the conversion and if its worth it!!!

obviously not by the sounds of things really!!

cheers guys

·
Administrator
25,966 Posts
My understanding is that the actual gear sets are as good as identical.
The RB26DETT revs higher and I think that does not help gearbox life also it has to drive 2 more wheels as well, I think that is why they seem to have more failures.
Now if you could get a manual box from a VQ30DETT I bet that is stronger due to that engines higher torque from the factory.
But GTS-T boxes are pretty dam strong imho, and you must either have a rare bad one or be running a whole heap of power for it to be an issue.
Changing the oil helps a lot.
Andy.
wish someone would tell my gearbox that as syncros are done in 3rd 4th and 5th :Uzi: :Uzi: however i should change the oil and try that first :loser:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts