Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the way home from work tonight I had a bit of a close call, I came round the roundabout at the top of my local bypass to be greeted with over a mile of straight clear road so I thought I would show my wife how the sequential shift light that I fitted at lunch time worked.

Near the end of the bypass the road curves to the right and as I got close I backed off and just let the car slow at it's own pace as we approached the bend, which is a nice sweeping bend (used to do it at 130 on my bike regularly).

So anyway a big artic was coming round the bend and out from behind it appears what I can only describe as an arsehole, don't know what he (or she) was driving, didn't have time, he pulled out to overtake the artic, although he saw me coming he kept trying to accelerate, he did not brake or even change his road position. I had no choice but to swerve onto the grass at the side of the road (which is about 4 foot wide and then there is a verge that drops about 10 feet) I skidded along the wet grass sideways with the arse end of the car towards the drop.

All credit to the mighty Skyline as it performed well as I steered into the slide and came to a stop after what seemed to be an eternity. I tried to move the car but I had no traction, one wheel was on the wet grass/ mud and the other was just over the edge.

Here's the thing though the driver that ran me off the road didn't even stop, neither did the driver of the artic or any of the other (at least half a dozen) cars that were behind the lorry although they would all have seen me going sideways on the grass.

We phoned the police who attended 15 minutes later, had to report it just incase someone does the decent thing and phones in with the other drivers number plate. The police helped me shove the Skyline out of the ditch while Laura drove. She is pretty shaken up about the whole thing.

Not any real damage to the car, scratched paint and the rear skirt that goes from the back of my wheel arch and curves around the bottom of my back bumper is smashed, it hit some bushes that didn't want to move.

Anyway, theres no hope of catching the prick that ran me off the road since we never got his number plate and there's no camera's on the road.

I just can't believe that nobody stopped to see if we were alright, if I hadn't went onto that narrow grass verge then we would all have been dead. What the ****s the matter with people?

The car seems OK, I've done about 10 miles in it now and apart from it being covered in bits of dandylion, mud, grass and bush mechanically it's fine.

and talking about grass and bush, it's time to spark up my pipe and crack open another bottle of Amstel.:40oz: :40oz: :guiness: :smoker:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Man

that sucks, probably a good thing the guy didn't stop or you may have done him some injury punishable by her majesty's pleasure for a long stretch.

At least you're both ok, and I reckon that musta been a tidy bit of frantic arm jiggling on your part to stay on the flat.

G

·
Bloody hell!! Close call mate,sounds like the old skyline could be a rallycross monster. Something similar happened to me & a mate in my old Senator (stop sniggering at the back) when we overtook a tractor & it decided to turn right into a field as we were along side it. We drove along a grass verge next to a hedge for about 50 meters Mind you we`d already been on the grass & thought it was hilarious. We even thought about going back & doing it again:D

·
Banned
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't thinking clearly cos I had my digital camera in the car so I should have taken some photo's of the skidmarks.

The thing thats annoying me now is that I drive home on that road every day and if the other driver is the same then that means that I'll drive past the ****er every day and not even know it.

Aye Jock your right, if I did get my hands on him I would not have been responsible for my actions. I had just spent all Saturday and Sunday tidying up the front end of the car (the bumper was a bit tatty when I got the car). I sprayed the front mounted intercooler silver, painted my front brake calipers gold, added some fibreglass to strengthen the bumper, filled the bits that needed filled, resprayed it and fitted mesh to all the cut outs. Now I'll have to pick all the foliage out of the mesh.

As for the skid, if someone had caught it on film it would have looked well cool:cool:

I'll see if I can take the smashed plastic off today during my lunch hour, repair it and maybe make some fibreglass copies.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Sorry to hear that mate, really narks me when things like that happen, what is the world coming to.... :(

No one stopped, shocking :eek:

They all need :aka47:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
From Cleland

originally..

Little reservation near motherwell, just off the M8 mate. That wasn't supposed to rhyme.

Famous for Sidney Devine (used to live up the road) and A Nuclear transporter crash when I was but a one-headed lad. That explains the second head and third leg I guess.....

If you're ever up at Dixons of Dunblane, speak to Andy Napier and tell him I sent you, he's a good lad. Bit enthusiastic about the scoobies, but runs a decent parts desk. He might know me as Stewart Montgomery mind you, not as Jock Alert.

Hope the car's gonna be ok!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Phew!

Glad you, the wife and the car are ok

Who'd take me down the 1/4 if you weren't around :p

Take care!

David

1 - 14 of 14 Posts