Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The GTS I got on Saturday really hates imperfections in road surfaces, and big repairs on a straight bit of road can really throw the car sideways.

Any idea what's likely to be causing this, or is it just a byproduct of bigger tyres (235's all round).

Cheers

G

·
If it doesn`t feel right then i suggest getting a pro to check it out. Sometimes slight imperfections as you call them can cause the car to tramline along them but not throw it sideways :eek:

Ps have you checked your PMs lately?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Bigger (wider)

tyres will give you tramlining hell..... I just went from 205s all round to 235 front and 255 rear, and it makes quite a difference on an unpleasant road... Can be hard work. But.... On a smooth surface, jesus its good! Tighter than a camel's a**e in a sandstorm.

If you suspect the handling to be flawed, have a good look at all the suspension bushes, and jack her up and look for play in the track rods (grab the wheel and shoogle it around, there should be very little play).

Strutbraces make a considerable difference to the handling on corners, but if its just tramlining, afraid you have to either live with it or buy narrower wheels and tyres.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eddie, just checked pm and replied to you. Should it send me an email when I get a pm like it does when someone replies to one of my threads?

I'll try playing around with tyre pressures to see if it helps. Is there a website anywhere that has info like camber angles etc for skylines - or does anyone publish a manual in english for them?

G

·
If you get new PM it should open up in a seperate box as soon as you come on the site & send you an e mail as well. Check your setings.
Having said that when i get PM i dont get a box open up. Does anyone else get a box??

Is it just me or is the site on a go slow today?

Grebo try having a look onmeggala for info.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Cheap tyres made mine do the same, in the wet over those big square metal manhole covers was an arse clenching time. I got rid of the Pirelli P6000 the cheapskates had fitted, put Eagle F1's on and the diference was amazing. Still tramlines on the front but that's just wide wheels for you.
Get used to buying rear tyres on a regular basis, especially if you drive it like you should. :D High grip = low wear life. High wear life = low grip

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got toyo proxes t1-s on mine - no idea if they're any good or not.

Must be reasonable grip wise cos I've only gone sideways once since I got the car on Saturday :D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Check the type of tread on the tyre. I have Falken 255's all round on my GTS at the moment. This wasn't my preference just what the GTR wheels came with. It does tramline quite alot but that's not suprising with such a wide width. However I have spoken to many owners that have had worse tramlining than mine with thinner tyres. This is down to, in part, the type of tread. Put simply the more circumferential grooves you have the more likely the car is too tramline, i.e the grooves that go all round the wheel, not the tread pattern. My Falkens only have one and aren't that bad.

Hope that helps.

Matt

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here a pic of my tread pattern

Tramlining is so bad that driving on half the knackered roads where I live is scary. If I keep the car then those tyres are gonna have to go.

Great grip in the wet though.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Toyo's are good tyres mate, don't bin em. It's more a case of driving it and getting used to the car. Now what was it you just stepped out of? Mondeo ? Worlds apart. You are in a performance motor now just give it a bit of time and you will adjust to it's little ways ;)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
have you been in spacemountain as alton towers in the last couple of years? Riding down backroads is like that in my GTS, get thrown from side to side all over the place and as the roads aren't very wide it aint fun.

BTW buster, did you get my reply to your email? Not sure it got sent cos my email program was going a bit skitzo.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Would you know if you have after market suspension on it? Lowering springs? Top adjustable shocks or coilovers. If you have and its set up for the track it could make it feel like that.
Got your E mine messed me about as well. Just considering my reply :)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Grebo....

Probably worth getting it checked by a Skyline pro mate, put your mind at rest more than anything else.

As Buster said, Skylines are worlds apart from 'regular' cars in terms of handling. Mine hates uneven surfaces, but you soon get used to it.

Actually, if you don't fight it, and let it coast over the imperfections, it will sort itself out, as by nature the chassis is very stable and responsive. Responsiveness, I guess, compounds this, as the car will not only have responsive handling to your inputs, but will respond with equal zest to the road surface. I think.

Wide tyres are a recipe for wandering on an uneven surface though, much much more than you would expect for only an inch or two wider than 'sensible' sizes.

If you find it really does want to depart from controlled travel, get it checked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts