Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just doing the cam belt, got to the stage when I need a puller, I havn't got one, can any one that has done the cam belt change suggest a decent one to use, don't want to spend loads as it will sit in the garage for the next 5 years!

Cheers

Stewart

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Halfords cheapy 3 legged puller is what i bought, £7 did the trick.
Use the wider ends to pull with or you will end up with a crumbled mess of a pulley.

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Ah yes, on mine they were caked full of muck/crap so i bought the 3 legged one made it much easier. That one you showed me would work then, providing the bolts are the right thread.

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
yes i removed the rad, can't get the puller in otherwise. I take it you have removed the fan as well, if not do it! Carefull when refilling the coolant make sure you have un done the bleed bolt near the fuel rail, or you may end up with an air lock. And if you have gone for the same puller as me the legs are reversable so make sure you use the wider ones against the pulley. As mine broke bits of it and they aint cheap

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok cool might buy both types as they are cheap, fan is off but radiator is still in, some people seem to have done it with rad on, maybe with the non-legged type? Didn't realise about the bleed bolt...

Did you have to replace the balancer after breaking bits of it?

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Yes, i had to as it would have ripped the aux belts up. 2nd hand one was £50
You may get in without removing the rad if you use that other type of puller, but i couldnt get in with the puller i had. Its a shame you werent nearer as you could have took the puller i have. It comes in handy for removing wiper arms etc.

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok nice one, will try and remove the pig tomorrow evening if its not raining, will let you know how I get on.

The reason I'm doing this job is because I had a flaping/knocking noise coming from the engine that I tracked down to the cam belt area, after removing the top cam cover I saw the belt rotating with a lot of play in it causing the noise, the other symptom I has was vibrating of the engine, can these faults cause vibrations? Or am I looking at other problems? Car has done 95,000 km

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
What do you mean by vibration? like a missfire? In extreme cases if the belt is very slack it could knock the valve timing out. You will be surprised how much the rubber in the pulley will stretch when using the 3 legged puller, then suddenly it cracks off. I hope you have marked the cas sensor position too.

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not missfire, car still runs perfectly but actual vibration of the engine, idle or moving anything above 2500rpm. I hope it cures the problem, but the belt needed to be done anyway, can anything else around there cause vibrations or do you think that is the problem that the belt has stretched/come loose?

CAS sensor marked, following instructions to the book.

·
Registered
96 Posts
puller

For Christ's sake go back and read the bloody DIY again!!!
It's as plain as day about bleeding the air from the cooling system.
DON'T use a 3-jaw puller unless you want to replace the balancer. There are tapped holes in the balancer for just this purpose. The ONLY time you'd use a 3-jaw puller was if previous bolts had snapped off in the tapped holes and so there was no other option.
Yes I wrote the DIY, there's ever a photo of a puller.

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For Christ's sake chill out! :D

I hadn't got that part yet that's the reason I hadn't read it yet funnily enough!!

I will be getting a non-legged puller, if you read my first post I was asking if the one I had linked was the right one, seeing as you are in OZ and we don't have the same supply shops. I was also using http://www.skylinegts.co.uk/Cambelt.htm who also doesn't mention where to get the puller from, I was just thinking it would be nice to get one that would definantly work that I and that site could recommend/link to.

Thanks for writing the DIY btw :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
air bleed

Suitably chilled now.
I've seen way too many perfect engines ruined due to forgetting this one simple step.
Guys get a nice new import, decide to change the fluids and flush the radiator, have no clue about air pockets and there you go, cracked head or if they're lucky, just a head gasket.

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good point, have read up on the official manual as well, will be sure to bleed properley, job done now thanks to yours and others DIY write ups.

Time consuming and the harmonic balancer is a PIG, the puller I bought and linked to does work if any one wants to know but it does mean removing rad and moving air con rad out the way slightly, probably could get a better bolt that's not as long to save the trouble...

After putting back together I had a nasty noise coming from the timing belt area, I had tightened the tensioner to much, so had to re adjust but still not perfect, they didn't seem to worn either but they have done 100,000km so I have decided to change them, so I will be doing it all again in a couple of days!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts