Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removing my head at the moment and for any one that has removed theirs I've got a few questions.

1) I am going to leave the exhaust manifold on but by the looks of it the turbo needs to be moved/twisted to make that possible, it doesn't look like that is possible unless I remove the 3 oil feeds, is that correct?

2) As regard to the intake, after I remove all the pipes/connections, can the head be removed with all that you can see in the pic attached? If so how do you get to the 10mm head bolt at the front above the water pump, there is no room to get any tool in there....

I'm taking pics along the way so hope to make a FAQ when all is done.

Cheers

Stewart

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
1) Correct. You need to undo the oil feed, oil drain, water feed and water drain. Disconnect them from the block or the core, as I find they are both equally as difficult to get to. Undo the clip around the turbo drain near the sump.

2) Yes you can remove the head with the manifold still attached. Just make sure every single last annoying air/water hose is disconnected. There are about 8 million of them.

I'm assuming you are just referring to the regular head bolt with "at the front above the water pump" and not something else. You need to use a hex socket like this.

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All seemed back to normal, I suspected oil pump or harmonic balancer for slight vibration then testing a couple of days ago rat ta tat tat tat, shut engine off immediatley got towed home and started the strip down, now my worst fears are confirmed as you can see :thumbsdown:

It's a kind of blessing in disguise (well thats how im looking at it, otherwise I'd cry!) as for a long time I've promised my self I'd learn more about RB engines so looks like I'm going to be thrown in the deep end.

Going to need a second hand head (unless that can be fixed?), 2xvavles and piston head. Cylinder luckily unharmed...

Any advice much appreciated...

Attachments

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Ouch, well i have 4 good pistons here. You are welcome to them if you cover the postage. The head looks fcuked to me from those pics, there was one on ebay not so long back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.