1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
Never use gasket sealer on a head gasket

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
In all my years as a mechanic never have I came across a car that needs silicon for the head gasket

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
Oh yes thermostat housing is fine mate

·
brett
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
are you still thinking the head as gone, was it not water in the exaust?
Yeah Its all pointing to the headgasket so it looks like il be fitting another.i fitted it dry the first time and was ok to start with but then started producing smoke.when i said some engines use a sealer on the headgasket,i didnt mean silicon,i meant something which never actually goes hard.

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
Nope never use anything with the head gasket

·
Registered
143 Posts
i dont know if its you doing this job but there are a few things to watch bolting on a head if you never done one before. make sure both surfaces are flat clean and dry and the bolt holes are cleaned out also check the oil feed is clear and inspect surfaces for damage and if the cams are in make sure the the pistons are down before putting head back on and there is a bolt tightening sequence thats very important to spread the load evenly

·
Registered Chump
1,944 Posts
hes done it at least once :) and is a marine engineer i always put the crank as close to mid point as possible, just dont lose track of where you are like where are my pistons at, i mean you can feel when your turning a piston against a valve but it can be confusing if you are just blagging it like i always am.

are you going ot compression test it before you do this again as you said there is no fluid loss is this still the case ?

i mean the fluid has to go somewhere/something has to be making hte smoke/steam

·
brett
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i did a comp test the other day,all good pressures...
Im going to take the inlet manifold off and check the gasket as water could be leaking into the cylinder if Its failed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts