Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought myself some lovely thermal wrapping stuff from www.mocal.co.uk with the aim of wrapping the pipe from the cooler to the throttle body, try and keep some heat off it.

Its aluminium cladding about a few mil thick with a thin aluminium covering, designed for that purpose. Now... How do I affix it?

ie, just clamp it on with cable ties or am I missing something?

Got exhaust wrapping on already, but used exhaust paste for that, which OBVIOUSLY even I am not dumb enough to do to my inlet pipe.

PS GET OUT OF BED YOU LOT, SOME OF US HAVE BEEN UP SINCE 0300!

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
presumably you could also wrap this stuff around the intake pipes on the induction kits as mine get quite hot

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I was thinkin.... I bought 1.5 metres long by .5 metres wide so there's plenty I think.

Mind you, I often run with the headlight out so its more the pipework over the block I am concerned about....

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Is there no way you can use good quality jubilee style clips?

Cant really think of another way that would look right! :confused:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could Jubilee clip it, just have to take the damn pipe off first, which I am loath to do until I next change the plugs as last time I sheared off one of the bolts which appears to be chocolate painted silver masquerading as real steel.... Only one left holding it in place now....

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Just undo the jubliees and and carefully bend them right open.. sounds like good stuff though Jock, anything thats an easy power increase! :D

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Cool :) My mate is going to make some sort of heat shield (out of aircraft aluminium, thanks KLM!) to go around my Apexi filter, hopeully to stop some of the fan wash... gotta be worth a go.. :)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well worth doin mate I reckon. I want to partition mine off but its finding the time thats the trouble. I had a steel mandrel bent pipe made to relocate the A'pexi pod further down and behind the headlight, into the path of the air from the vent that feeds the original airbox, then just decided to whip out the light altogether. Should be easier to partition it now (which some of the heat shielding is for.....)

Got some Aircraft grade aluminium tape (Called high-speed tape), which is for temporary repairs/patches to planes, gonna use that to wrap a few bits too....

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
Hey Jock,
If ya gonna use 'speed tape' just remember it sticks like sh*t to a blanket, so don't use it if you think ya might want to remove it.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Floyd501!

Gonna use it one the partition for the intake I think, that way I just whip out the partition....

Nice to have Friendly Engineers at work!

Just lobbed on the heat shielding around the pipework from the I/C to the plenum and had a 40 mile test run.... Seems to be holding boost better, and less falloff as the RPMs increase too...

Excellent (he said rubbing his hands together)!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Fitted my A'pexi induction just now, pity it was designed for an RB25DE and not a RB25DET so the brackets are trying to put the filter in the intercooler piping..! :rolleyes: :(

Oh well, sounds awesome! Just need to sort the heatshield out, but cant do that until Monday.. :(

Looks like mega heatwave tomorrow... not decent boost for us then!! :(

·
Gets Blown by Twins :D
2,327 Posts
Just a word of caution, the Aussy lot have had problems with the Metal heatshield as it "gets hot due to heat soak and traps the hot air near the filter" (read it here)

I recommend making one out of plastic (tough acrylic) or even wood covered in heat wrap - no I haven't been :40oz: :alco: :40oz:

Both are immune to heat soak (unlike metal) and are easier to hack & bash at than metal.

Heres a pic on a V6 Mondeo (heatshield has the lid off so you can see inside)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Thats a very good point Ian, I never thought of that..

Although my mate has made one out of this aircraft ally and his filter stays quite cool, its not as major a box as that R33 one, just something to stop the fan wash...

Something worth thinking about though!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Don't have a skyline right now, so can't look so see if there's room for this, but maybe it would be possible to extend the air pipe a bit and move the filter forward so it's not in the engine bay any more but is just behind and to one side of the grill.

As I say not sure if there's room but you'd get plenty of fresh cool air if there is.

Even if there's not room for the filter there maybe there's room to build in a kind of ram air scoop to direct air into the engine bay and onto the air filter.

·
2,327 Posts
grebo said:
Even if there's not room for the filter there maybe there's room to build in a kind of ram air scoop to direct air into the engine bay and onto the air filter.
You can use the standard Air guide or buy a nismo one (better airflow than standard)

Nismo one

Standard one

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Grebo... On an R33 its as above, good luck on an R32 tho! No idea about 34's......

Wood/Plastic were my initial thoughts, Metals suck when it comes to heat dissipation/retention!

Still thinkin of using the Ally tape though, but just as a coating on the MDF or whatever.....

·
2,327 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking of "speed tape" covered MDF from my ST24's heatshield as the MDF rests on the metal pipe behind the filter and as I didn't know how hot it gets I wanted to be safe.

PS If anyone wants some "Speed Tape" I've got tons of it (5 rolls of 1ft by 60ft) - see the RAF is good for somethings - Free airfield use, speed tape and a million & one tools to use!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts