Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just spent the evening fitting some leds to my heater unit, simple job to do and looks much brighter.

parts used:

Lee lighting filter gel 119 Dark Blue

2 x 5mm White 18,000 Mcd Frosted / Diffused Led

2 x 12V Resistor (Stronger)

............................................................................................

1) open rear of heater unit
2) remove one of the bulb holders and take out the old bulb

3) cut long leg from led and solder resistor on
4) make one of the holes in the bulb holder larger so that resistor will fit though

5) bend legs of led round the holder same as old bulb and trim of excess wire

6) repeat for other bulb
7) refit holders into heater unit
8) plug loom back in and check they turn on before you screw it back together.
leds only work one way so if it dont light up remove the holder and rotate 180
9) clip and screw back of heater unit on
10) unclip front of heater and fit film behind the screen

lights off

lights on

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Smashing job Fella !! Looks good :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
thats ideal, i changed all my dash lights for led's apart from hazard light and rear demist. i tryed some blue film but i was not strong enough and looked kack. i seen all the blue jel sheets on e-bay but couldn't make my mind up which one to get. job sorted now. thanks for pic's.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey sweet pea. yea mine is dark in the daylight. Still got the dash in bits so if i can find some yellow film will give it a go.

·
Registered
778 Posts
hey sweet pea. yea mine is dark in the daylight. Still got the dash in bits so if i can find some yellow film will give it a go.
I just thought about this as i was ordering the gel...

doesn't yellow and blue make green, not green and yellow make blue?

wouldn't yellow make it greener?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea shadybeaverguy is right yellow ant going to work, so i decided to sand the front pannel down make it a bit thiner and less glossy.
still need a bit more t-cut to get the finish nice but you can see from the pics its easyer to read in the daylight.

hope this helps :D

normal green display

after installing blue film

after sanding

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
Yes that is good! I could well do that myself, on a warmer day!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
yea shadybeaverguy is right yellow ant going to work, so i decided to sand the front pannel down make it a bit thiner and less glossy.
still need a bit more t-cut to get the finish nice but you can see from the pics its easyer to read in the daylight.

hope this helps :D

normal green display

after installing blue film

after sanding
Just found the same problem after fitting blue gel. What part of the front pannel did you sand down? Just the inside part where the LED panel sits?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Here is mine finished (sorry **** cam)-

I will need to sand it down abit more as its hard to easy in the day time but does looks excellent at night. Think i will do the clock soon too. I used random bit of sandpaper (rough) then wet&dry sandpaper grade 400 then t-cut - comes out nice and smooth.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts