Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Man of many spanners
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Windows steaming up, smell of coolant and water p*ssing down into the passenger footwell.
Did a search and it seems that my heater matrix is twatted.
Am I correct?
Do some traders sell heater matrixes and should I buy some pipes as well?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
In dentibus anticis frustum magnum spiniciae habes
9,524 Posts
its not a dash out keith, i proved it, u can take out ac unit and get around it by removing the 8 screws that hold in the pipes, then slide out the matrix like a cartidge, then stick in new one and refit screws and pipes. I would do it for you to prove you can do it, to hell with taking out the dash!!

·
Man of many spanners
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting it out without removing the Dash may be ok for someone who knows what they are doing but how about a low IQ spanner monkey like me ?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Can someone take photos of the location of screws and the actually matrix if possable please this would save alot of time taking a dash out if it is possable to do without

Thanks

J

·
Man of many spanners
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All fitted and working.

All you have to do is follow the thread by Andygts and take your time.
Letting the gas out of the a/c unit is technically illegal.
So you can either let a professional get it out for you or undo one of the pipes and scarper indoors.

I am crap at posting pictures but they are at the foot of this post

My replacement heater had a thinner set of plastic pipes than the original and they would have been a little too small for the outside pipes but the original plastic pipes fitted ok.

The middle picture is the matrix with the plastic pipes fitted. the top left hand screw was a complete *****. I couldnt see it and my hands were too big to push it in. Baring in mind the fit has to be water tight onto the matrix.

The third picture is the glove box showing the lugs on the left.

The fourth picture is the heater matrix on the right after the a/c unit was removed.
I'm just showing off now because its a clear picture.

]

There are threads on this forum that will show you how to refill the coolant properly but I will tell you how I did it

After fitting the bottom bung back into the radiator
(Some people think it is best to take the bottom pipe off instead cos the bung can get damaged) I filled the rad up with a coolant mix and kept squeezing the bottom pipe to release air bubbles.
When I couldnt get any more coolant in I started the engine and kept topping the rad up, dont bother to put the cap on yet.

when the temp gauge started to rise I undid the little bleed valve but nothing happened.It says dont open it when the water is hot so I left it a bit.
Although the water in the engine got hot the heater did not pump out hot air.
When I felt the top pipe in the engine bay it was hot but the bottom one was cold.
I undid the little bleed valve again and some water spat out.
Every now and then I had to top up the rad.

After replacing the rad cap I thought that I would take the car out for a little while just to see what happened.
after about a minute very hot air come out of the heater..too hot for comfort.

I went back home and the engine was VERY hot..the rad pipes were far too hot.
I left the car for a while and undid the rad cap. I needed to fill the rad with about 2 litres of coolant so what must of happened is that the airlock was blown out of the heater matrix and the water going into it made the main rad half empty.

I started the engine and undid the little bleed valve again and water spurted out of it.
I did it back up and that was that.
Then I went down to my local garage for a a/c regas.
Now I have a lovely dry car that stinks of coolant.

Thanks to texvandoodoo for his advice and selling me the heater matrix and thanks to andygts for posting up the guide

Attachments

·
Man of many spanners
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad to see I've wrote something useful then, told you it was easy;)
Very useful mate.
there has been a little added bonus too.
My a/c has always stunk a bit stale and when I took the unit out I found out why..it was all manky.
Now it is all clean and fresh.

Thanks again mate.

·
R33 GTS25-T
597 Posts
This looks like my luck.

Good job on the fix and thank you for the extra pictures.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts