Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 96 phase 2 r33gtst and the steering is really heavy, not quite no power steering but very close, have changed the pump and complete steering rack but no difference, any help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have tried it plugged in and plugged out makes no difference, have changed the fluid and checked for air and leaks and also checked for any damaged or kinked pipes, the steering is not just slightly heavier it is shoulder pain heavy with very little feel to it

·
catch me if u can....
657 Posts
is the car new to you or did it just happen? it could have a bent steerring rack?
or you have the pipes the wrong way rnd from the pump?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just checked all the hicas connections everything seems ok, i changed the car from auto to manual when i got it could this have anything to do with it, i did use manual loom and ecu

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
car had a busted engine when it came to me so never drove it before, have changed the rack to one that i know was fine and pipes to pump are different sizes so i dont think you can mix them up

·
catch me if u can....
657 Posts
shouldnt affect it, the only other thing is it heavy whilst driving? as it does sound like it hasnt got all the air out of the system properly. if you fill up the p/s bottle turn the steering all the way to the right and hold it there for a few secounds then top the bottle up as needed, then turn all the way to the left and top up bottle just keep doing it till the fluid level stays the same height, there is also a sensor just under the alternator aswell a red plug just make shure that is in ok.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
steering is consistantly heavy both stopped and driving but there is no notchyness like you would associate with air in the system

·
Registered
18 Posts
alright bud, iv'e chased a problem like yours for a while, one day the steering just went heavy,i had no warning lights, speedo wasn't playing up so was sure the mph/kph chip was fine. So i checked the levels, flused the system through, checked the hicas ecu, changed pretty much every earth i could find,changed the pump checked all connections on the sensor's,had the batt tested,bled the system a few more times hoping for it to cure the problem, jacked it up done lock to lock all felt smooth and was told doing this would elimante the rack, borrowed a bad boy battery hooked it up with some jumps as i was told that low amp output will affect the steering,and still no improvment, found the bloody problem today, a little f**king green wire that goes into a connector block, located between the fuse box under the bonnet and the washer bottle, the bast**d looked like it was making a connection even stayed in position when i uncliped everything pulling it about, i noticed it was the same green wire i saw on a sensor on a pipe going into the rack, i think it's a pressure sensor anyways the thing connects to a switch/relay maked FIDC in the fuse box, something so simple was really getting to me,thought i'd just share this as you never know, good like with it bud

1 - 11 of 11 Posts