Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone, I have a bit of a massive problem which is partly down to my excitement of owning a skyline but here goes...

So last year i decided to take a loan out and get myself a skyline for a weekend toy. I looked on ebay and auto trader and found a handful from "Jap import cars" in high Wycombe. Looked great in the pictures, spoke to the seller and was assured it was a solid, clean example of an R33. I was sent a video of which I specifically asked to see underneath which was around 8 seconds long and another of it running and a walk around. It looked great... (this is where I got too excited) I paid the £1k deposit and organised a flight from Inverness (North of scotland) down and a taxi to get to the "dealership". I was shown the car and looked amazing on the outside... Opened the passenger door and found a lot of rust on the hinge, same as the drivers door which I pointed out straight away and was dismissed instantly that it was surface rust and wasn't anything to worry about, the doors were solid and didn't have any play so I didn't think anymore off it. I wasn't allowed a test drive even though I had proof of insurance, tax and my licence nor was I allowed to have a look underneath. This put some doubt in my mind but the seller was adamant it was a good solid car that they had checked over themselves, that was fine so I paid them and drove 600 miles home with no problems, everything worked as it should then 5 weeks after owning it, I was out for a cruise around Loch Ness and a stag appeared from the trees, slammed on the anchors and the pedal sank straight to the floor... Brake pipe had burst which then lead me to hitting the stag and damaging the drivers side front and rear arches, front bumper, drivera side skirt, drivers mirror and the windscreen. Got it home and in the garage where I bought new fiberglass wings (had GTR style arches on it) to repair the damage. In order to take the rear arch off the side skirt had to come off and this is where the problem is... The Whole sill is gone, 90% of the drivers sill I can fit my hand into it. Havent looked at the passenger side but I'm reckoning it's not far behind either!

This car was MOT'd at their garage the past 2 years (didn't check until I found this rot, stupid I know) and the only advisory was "underseal". Now my question is do I have any sort of case against them as clearly the car is rotten, almost killed me and not as described or fit for purpose? As a private sale I'd be buggered I know that much but since they are a dealership there must be something I can do?

Any help is appreciated and also any jokes are welcome! I'm in a bad situation with this so a joke or two won't do any harm! ?

Many thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,983 Posts
If you had done some checking on other UK car import car forums you would have turned up some alarms about dealer's in High Wicombe no names but there is one in particular that has a nasty reputation ...as for what you can do depending on how long you have had the car i would start by talking to Trading Standards and go from there but if you go private its not going to be cheap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts