Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this my first post on here and want to say HI! i have been on the GTR oc since 02, but have found they are not so good at helping with GTS and GTT questions.Previosly I have had a 33gtr, and a 33GTS and have just got my self a 34 GTT which I love (once you have a skyline they are hard to leave alone!!!! Now to my question, i have a problem, when coming home with the car yesterday it behaved very strangley, the steering was fine when sitting at a steady speed but when you slowed and accelerated it seemed to move left and right (after this the steering wheel would be slightly off centre) then it would straighten itself up again??? The car feels like it is trying to centre itself so I thought maybe a problem with the HICAS? I am sorry if this doesnt make much sense buts its hard to explain, Please help as I am sure you are all aware of the horrible feeling in your stomach when you think there is something wrong with a skyline and you see pound signs flashing before your eyes!!!

PS no warning lights etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Have you tried parking up on a level surface with your wheels straight, disconnecting the battery for a few mins and reconnecting? This should reset the ECU including HICAS which can apparently affect it.

Apart from that I'd take it to a tyre place and get a full wheel alignment done. I normally have to do this every couple of months as my steering seems to get off center rather easily, hitting pot holes and things seems dosn't seem to help and make my steering off center/car pulls to left or right when you let go.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a similar problem with my GTT when I got it.

I found that the steering seemed to have a mind of its own. Sometimes I needed to pull slightly against it to get it back on track. I had suspected HICAS and other things that cost a lot of money..

Had tyres changed and full tracking done. That solved all problems. Drives perfect now.

·
Southern Ireland Area Rep
1,186 Posts
You using coilovers?

If so make sure the stiffness is set the same all round! Mine were not all the same and caused the wheel to vibrate above 70mph and car would pull to the left

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Sounds like a steering bush to me if the car's bolting. It's the bush the back leg of the wishbone sits into. Park the car up and get a fairly long tyre bar, put it on one of the studs and try to rock the wheel in either direction, you should feel the play if there's any there but get someone to look under the car while you're rocking the wheel to make sure there's no play anywhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, the tracking has just been done, doesnt happen all the time either, it was really noticeable on the motorway, not so much on twisty roads, just like the car has a mind of its own at times. I will try to reset the ECu, was thinking about buying a lock up kit for the HICAS but dont really want to do that as I have never had a problem with HICAS before and like things to be right.

Cheers
Seumus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts