Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
Ive had my GTS a couple of years but never beem to a track day before so i have a few questions for the "vets" out there.

What helmet spec do i need and is there anything else I need to know?

Paul

·
Registered
161 Posts
If its like karting and other events it has to be BS standards approved and made of GRP i think? Not sure if this applies to track days?

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
They wont allow you to sellotape a vid camera to the dash.
You will be checked for exhaust noise at many tracks. Depends on circuit Dba level and sometimes how much you pay and time of week.
You have to do the common sense car prep stuff.
You wont be chucked in at the deep end.
Try and pick a day with half sensible people, not the Max prat brigade.
Insurance is a personal choice thing, but at least worth pricing.
Dont go balls out of the traps and smash into the first bend cos your brakes are stone cold, sod wot any one else does have a warm up lap.

I am sure many others will cover what I have missed, but its a buzz and teaches you a lot about your car and yourself.
Nick

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what i was thinking, i used to do hill climbs and the odd twisted sprint on a 1939 rigid BSA running 14:1 on methanol they used to be real picky about that sort of thing

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Of course my favourite Helmet was Helmut Khol. Seriously now you can rent them cheap on the day at some tracks

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buster,
Im going for a bit of fun, nothing more im not out to win any awards so no danger there. Noise shouldnt be a problem as I have a dual drager which is quieter than most ive heard and it'll take longer than one lap to warm up my red stuff pads as even my mum is quicker than me or so she says

(besides my cap wont fit backwards on the outside of me helmet :D )

Like most of us my car is my fav toy id be gutted if i bent it

Paul

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
I was thinking my super drager was quiet but it measured in at 99 dBa at 4500 revs which was one under the limit at Castle Coombe. I use red stuff and they are fine on the track when they are warmed up, like you say, but I have put GTR brakes and discs on mine. Adrenalin can make you less cautious when your out there. I am like you about my car but I still had a very lively moment out of Quarry, I saw infield,outfield the people behind the people in front...oops

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if "oops" is the worst i manage and i havent hit anything id be happy to live with that to be honest. My car isnt that quick compared with most id imagine its around 300 at the wheels so hopefully i wont frighten myself

Paul

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Bloody hell 300 at the wheels aint shy mate, its a job to keep em straight with rear wheel drive or is that just me

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats most of the fun though isnt it, fighting with it. Ive driven a couple of nippy gtrs but they dont really give the same impression of speed, they are safer i guess and they do go round corners better but only with a totally different approach to driving the car, it just didnt suit my driving style

Im more than happy with mine

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It works for me,

So how come so many folks on here are in the M3 M4 corridor? I wizzed around Finchampstead for 2 years with mine and met /saw no other owners, since i spend more tim up in Oxfordshire all of these other people pop out of the woodwork?

I lived in bracknell for 20 years and all of a sudden i leave and they all appear

Paul

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
If you were paranoid you would think they were hiding from you.
Maybe its these forums that bring us together. I drive miles for work every day and its a rare thing to see one on the road still

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I must admit i use mine most days, sometimes from Finch up to Oxford or down to Egham etc and see no one... Actually thats not quite true there is one round the corner from my folks so Ive popped out with him once or twice, he's tucked away on here somehwere with his Gtt (nice looking car)

Do I smell, is there something no one told me...

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ive been to one of the Derby meets, a mate of mine has one in stoke, and I have bumped in to one or two folks down at Abbey, I suppose idleness and work tends to get in the way, computers dont tend to knock off at 5.30 like the rest of us. I missed the December grasshopper meet as i had family commitments and at the mine has been in being fettled for 3 weeks so i havent really done much this year.

Im going to try to make more of an effort this year as im single again now. Not much of a choice really, her crappyness or the car and a quiet peaceful life :D

Pope, without the PopeMobile

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
There is usually something happening around here, keep watching here for news and come and join in mate. I dont give my "trouble" a choice, she is probably glad to get shot of me for a few hours. Who s done what to yours then? I have just spent a few shillings on mine, its an addiction like gambling or drinking I reckon.
Nick

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
where to start...

TurboDynamics Lovely needle roller conversion with bigger internals

Done before i found the GTR community

Abbey have done the rest, induction, exhaust, Fcon management, Injectors, headgasket, IC, clutch, HKS Fuel pump, regulator etc etc

Paul

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
not sure about that, superior overdraft maybe :D

that and no ball and chain

1 - 20 of 20 Posts