Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My R33 series 1 GTS-T coilpacks have been changed 3 times (with second hand sets) and I still have a missfire from 4500rpm. Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy a new set of uprated ones straight after Xmas! The iridium spark plugs haven't done alot of miles and the car was missfiring before they were fitted. My car is standard though it may have an aftermarket exhaust. Could it be the CAS sensor? HELP PLEASE!

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
try the tech section as this is really where this other threads in this section should be to get max help

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
RSP do a good set - I had the same symptoms after trying a few things. It was resolved and came back, resolved and came back. Mine came down to coilpacks which I could'nt afford at the time but RSP's were affordable (about 270 quid) and not had any misfire (touchwood) since and are working good so far.
As iansr33 has said try the tech section just incase there is an cheaper option for you to try before getting coilpacks (around 99% it's coilpacks failing). :)

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
If you've got lots of old coilpacks then maybe you could try swopping them around? If you've got three sets maybe there's six which are ok.

Make sure the spark plugs are gapped properly (0.8mm I reckon) then swop coilpack 1 for one odf the spares. Check if missfire gone. If not, swop it for another etc. until you've used all the spares.

Then move onto number 2 and repeat etc.

This will take ages, but if you've no money then it may work.

Apparently, if the coilpacks are really bad then you can see sparks arching at night when the engine's running (rev it by hand) - this may point out the duff one(s).

Make sure you inspect the coilpack loom carefully first too (check the wires going into each connector terminal for breaks etc. and see if there's anything obvious with the rest of the wires).

Ideally see if there's some nice person locally who could lend you their ignition amp and coils - if you use a known good set it will prove if it is coilpacks etc.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you've got lots of old coilpacks then maybe you could try swopping them around? If you've got three sets maybe there's six which are ok.

Make sure the spark plugs are gapped properly (0.8mm I reckon) then swop coilpack 1 for one odf the spares. Check if missfire gone. If not, swop it for another etc. until you've used all the spares.

Then move onto number 2 and repeat etc.

This will take ages, but if you've no money then it may work.

Apparently, if the coilpacks are really bad then you can see sparks arching at night when the engine's running (rev it by hand) - this may point out the duff one(s).

Make sure you inspect the coilpack loom carefully first too (check the wires going into each connector terminal for breaks etc. and see if there's anything obvious with the rest of the wires).

Ideally see if there's some nice person locally who could lend you their ignition amp and coils - if you use a known good set it will prove if it is coilpacks etc.
Thanks for the replies. I'm located in Bournemouth, has anyone nearby got a working set they could loan me? Can the CAS sensor cause this missfire?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i should imagine its overfueling due to the exhaust allowing the engine to breathe better...rsp stage 1 ecu will stop this trust me..i had the same problem!

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Get the coil packs first your going to need them sooner or later anyway.

Then check the spark plug gap

Do stage 1 mods if you want to do that of course

Then get the ecu

That's the way I would do it.

·
South Wales Area Rep
310 Posts
ive just fitted RSP coil packs to my car and at the moment all the missfireing has stoped so i recomend the RSP any day well worth the money it cost me £230 for the coilpacks

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
its unlikey coilpacks if he has tried 3 sets already..however i do agree you may as well buy new ones either rsp or spitfires. my miss fire was not completely cured when installing my packs. most people know when modding skylines they dont like it, even down to an air filter to a certain degree..pm rsp with your probs..they will sort you bud!

·
Altered Beast!!!
753 Posts
Lamda/Oxygen sensor, if you've tried 3 sets of coils and the misfire is still present it's likely to be this. Get a Bosch universal 3 wire sensor from your motor factor and try it, they are only £35...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.