Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just fitted a new intercooler and a new screemer pipe from the turbo. car started fine but ended up blowing the intercooler pipe off the botttom, i put that back on and the car now runs fine and was bossting lovely, i let it tick over for ages after as i was cleaning it off then wen for a drive, as i got home the car is really making a load of noise as in top end ???? any idears guy, its not blowing for what i can see and hear but it sounds like right on the top, can this just happen ???

please help, im down in bournemouth can anyone look for me?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah buddy it dose but it sounds right from the top of the engine like under the plug cover, can it transfer the sound all that way?, it did snap the stun in the turbo but i got it out, it wasent blowing from there when i started and drove it a mile of so but then it was all of a sudden there it was but its really loud,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i will look tomorrow chris thanks but the car drove fine and quite this morning but worth a look,

and yeah mate lol like a tractor

·
bla
17,374 Posts
ok i will look tomorrow chris thanks but the car drove fine and quite this morning but worth a look,

and yeah mate lol like a tractor
Did you have a tinny noise from say 2500rpm to 3000rpm???

Hate to say it mate, but sounds like your manifold is in half or has a crack.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
in half or a crack? thats not good, if so wheres the best place to get one of those?, i have the rest of te system so i guess it needed doing, i will look in the morning and see if i can see anything, i will also see if i can take it to a garage or should i not drive it,

yeah i had i really slight noise on tick over a week or so ago, so things are looking like the manifold.

could it be something to do with me fitting the intercooler etc?

thanks for all your help guys

·
bla
17,374 Posts
A ticking sound would of been snapped manifold studs....
Then now youve put on your extra mods the extra power would move and bend the manifold more causing it to crack or snap in half.. Mine sounded like a tractor when it happened to me. Driving to a garage should be fine but drive slow and off boost just in case. I wouldnt drive anywhere else....
If you leave it in garages hands, make sure you see the manifold on the car first before you leave see if it has cracked, unless its a garage you trust. Can be quite expensive..

I searched for an uprated manifold but there was only xs power and i didnt like there feedback so went for a standard oem one from nissan.... More than capable of big power. You can buy high tensile studs that shouldnt snap from Rising Sun Performance...

It may not be the manifold but sounds like it is...

Also before you drive anywhere check your plugs and coilpacks... :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
cool mate im loooking on xs power now thats where i got the intercooler frome and that seemed fine, but i will look into it,
hes a good mate of mine so i trust him but thanks for the advice, i will keep you informed,
getting a new manifold mans uprating the turbo or not? im looking to spend 550 600 pound is that the rigt move?

bits so far are ...

apexi air filter,
g ready boost controler,
hks full system bar the manifold lol,
xs power intercooler.
sreemer pipe,
and i think my ecu has had a tweak,
blitz bov.

whats next??(remember 550 600 pound lol)
also what bhp do you think i should be at now?

·
bla
17,374 Posts
i think youll need that for the manifold work if there is snapped studs etc.. Pain in the arse drilling them out...

If thats spare if was you id get an apexi power fc with that money. Fully mapable ecu.. Your tweaked ecu?!??!?!?!?!?! cant be helping with much?
Then with an uprated ecu, you can add more mods the get her fitted and mapped :)
http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67008

Here is a guide made up... :D You need anymore questions answering just ask..

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66975

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok guys its not the plugs or coils, or even the manifold, its booked in to a dyno place in bournemouth and they said the oil pressure has droped down to 1 bar and should be bout 4ish? they said a oil and filter change should do it,?
they said they should set it up on there dyno to? do i let them, what should i be expecting bhp wise?

·
Registered
218 Posts
this oil pressure issue? is it when it's hot or cold?? if its hot and on idle then it's not really that far off, if it's cold on idle, ohh dear!??
ours runs 7-8 bar cold and 2 bar idle, 4-5 bar on boost warmed up, change the oil and filter anyway as it may give a good result also its kind to the engine especially if its going on a dyno, but also it should be noted the built in oil pressure gauges can be out as are the boost gauges and they are only really a general indicator,
it will be interesting to hear how you got on as ours is of simular spec,
good luck with it ;)

cheers
Matt

·
bla
17,374 Posts
could be the oil sender unit.. My oil pressure was really low and took it into RB and they put on a new sender unit and all was fine..... :) so point them in that direction too :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and for the results.....the oil and filter was a good move its running really nice now and with no noises,

as for the dyno....199.4 atf lol ....a big fueling prob they said could be plugs, afm, the fuel pressure if perfect but the grath shows it all over the place,
he said something like the boost his hitting 0.75bar and droping down to 0.65bar, and the fuel is getting too lean on boost (bout 12) whatever that means???

hes doing plugs and fuel filter tomorrow is there anything else to check?
or has anyone got a s/h afm ? to try or buy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
afterfitting a new afm, its still droping off at4500rpm but is better than it was anyidears??? coils???plug gap ect...

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Youve mentioned them, so give them a try... Try a coilpack refurb..... Thread in the faq section.. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
update

justto say thanks for allyour help guys i have learnt alot and you have helped me loads....but lol,,,,,i have the power bug, they have put a walbro 255 feul punp, ngk plugs, fuel filter, fuel pressure gauge, 5 hours of dyno work, took out my boost controler(spec 2 b gready), and its now come out at 259,8bhp with 237ftlb, i dont think thats to bad for stage 1 mods but can i be wrong,

thanks again for all your help

ps boost controler now for sale
and want a power fc? anyone got one??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts