Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving out the road yesterday in my R32 rb20det next thing clouds of blue smoke started pouring out the exhaust got back home straight away with it and popped the bonnet and she was after blowing the dip stick up out of herself.So today i pulled the turbo off her and there is slight play in the shaft only very slight play,so did a compression test on her and she is at 5 at cylinder 2 and 3 and 9 on the rest.My question is is she after blowing the turbo or the head gasket or am i really unlucky and after ****ing both.

Any help and advise on this would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

·
Registered
359 Posts
Is there any oil in the inlet pipe from the turbo? If not its probably ok but with the compressions all over the place like you listed and the dipstick blowing out I'd say its your head gasket thats gone. :doh:

·
Registered
20 Posts
sounds like crank case compression is blowing the dipstick out. could be the rings on 2 and 3, the compression is way down. if not then its probably the head gasket.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Yep definately sounds like engine probs, especially with the dipstick blowing out and the comp being that low on 2 and 3, plus when my turbo has gone everytime i've had oil everywhere.

·
4,143 Posts
get a let-by test done as a compression test shows **** all as its a turbo car.
i would go for piston rings are gone.im afraid its alot more expensive than a h/g or turbo if the rings have gone.

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
I had exactly the same problem you have described, its 99% rings i'm afraid

i replaced the engine

·
Registered
610 Posts
im 99% sure its rings. but while yer getting that changed out, why not install new steel head gaskets!! good luck!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts