Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an R33 gts, it came with a 4" Exhaust from the front of the car, (rusty GTR type) it has no cat and no silencer, just a 4" backbox..

Can anyone suggest a complete exhaust run that I can fix onto my R33 GTS 2L Straight 6, (that includes a Cat) so it'll pass the MOT emissions test??

Ideally I want the car to be loud, but nowhere near as loud as it is at the moment.. But dont want feeble 2"/2.5" pipes... Ideally 3" pipe/s and a Cat..??

I do plan to add a 4.5" - 5" backbox...

I will eventually be swapping the GTS Engine for a GTST Turbo Engine so would like to 'future proof' the Exhaust setup..but still have it road legal..

***** Please Please can some one give me some links to the Exhaust run that I
need/would suit best!? Ideally I want a rust proof shiny exhaust from the engine
right up to the 'backbox' of my choice or a 4.5" - 5" backbox if its included !?? *****

I'am a propper "NOOB" when it comes to pretty much anything to do with cars, but now I have an R33 I really want to do the best I can with it, but at the same time dont want to pay out too excessively this early on ..so cheaper the better :) .....but I still want it to last..If such a thing exists ??

Please help! as my MOT is due in 1 Month, and I am still to find the cash to do it..

Please reply with LINKS etc..

Many Thanks

Martin aKa : SKYLINE-NOOB :cheers:

·
Central Scotland Area Rep
2,447 Posts
japspeed stainless jobbie from ebay and a 2nd hand cat if your just wanting a cheap fix and a new exhaust

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
put a wanted add up for standard exhaust.. then just keep it in the garage for mot time lol

·
Registered
235 Posts
My mot station passed mine and it has no cat
Something to do with the skyline model not being in the emmisions test list so it has a basic emmisons test which parameters are sky high anyway
Although Im freindly with owners, she is easily bribed with a bottle of red try a bribe !!

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Will this Cat Converter fit ??

As the title says : ...Will this Cat fit ? It says its for an R33 GTS-T but I'am thinking that all variations of the R33 are pretty similar !?

Checkout the LINK and let me know what you think ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-SKYLINE-2-5-1994-95-Petrol-Exhaust-Catalytic-Converter-Cat-/190616782020?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c61a544c4

Also I want to know aside from the exhaust being friendlier to the Environment with a cat in place...

Will I loose/gain power or will there be no change?

How much quieter will the Exhaust be given that I have a 4" straight through exhaust at the moment with no cat nor silencer just a 4" pipe and 4" backbox, by adding a Cat what difference will I notice ??

* On the Ad, in the LINK above it says:-

Quote:-

'!! IMPORTANT !!

If your vehicle is registered on or after 01/03/01 then by law it requires a type approved catalytic converter.

What does Type Approved Catalytic Converter mean?

Due to government legislation it is now a legal requirement on vehicles registered after March 2001 (anything with a Y registration or later) to be fitted with a type approved catalytic converter.

The difference between a non-approved and a type-approved catalytic converter is the amount of precious metal contained in the brick and its overall volume, the parts will look exactly the same.

The price difference in the type approved catalytic converter is due to the increase in precious metal content.

It is a legal requirement to fit the correct catalytic convertor to your car.'

***** My R33 GTS is an N reg/95 ...So with the Law as it stands to-date.. Do I need a Cat or not ??? Can I/Will I still fail the emissions test Since my car was made before 2001 ??

I do want to quieten the Exhaust a tad anyway cos its 'crazy loud' at the moment...But if I can help it dont want to loose any/much power !?

In short I need "LINKS" to a complete Exhaust rig from where it starts through to back box with either a 4.5" or 5" backbox for my R33 GTS that will defo 100% get me through my cars MOT yet still rumble and sound nice without effecting power/bhp too much :) ??

Hope someone can help me as its stressing me out not knowing exactly what I need to buy, and I still need to find the cash in a very short space of time (MOT in 1 Month)

Please please please help me

Many Thanks

Martin.:attention:

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
There is a get out clause for skylines up to a certain age and if yours falls into it then it won't need. Cat fitted and I did ask when I was at my mot refresher course last month.

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a get out clause for skylines up to a certain age and if yours falls into it then it won't need. Cat fitted and I did ask when I was at my mot refresher course last month.
Do you know what age that is ?? ..if not do you know where and how I can find out ?? - Martin.

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
One of the members on here has the email mate

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That'd be me. :)

Search for my vosa thread, though with yours being a spec 2 you may be out of luck as it could be too new.
I'll run a search for it :) mines a spec 1... it just had a spec 2 bonnet...but Ive changed it to a black spec 1 bonnet now :) .. !? - Martin. :cheers:

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to cat or not to cat...Advantages and dis-advantages..??

Ah, thought you had a spec 2 for a sec because of your old bonnet. You might be okay then, literally just search for vosa on this forum and you'll find it.
:attention:Does having a Cat fitted effect the sound much ??

Does a 95 Plate Spec 1 need a Cat ?? Sorry to keep on about this but I really need to sort out an exhaust soon and need to figure out whether I defo need a Cat or not ??- Martin.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My mot station passed mine and it has no cat
Something to do with the skyline model not being in the emmisions test list so it has a basic emmisons test which parameters are sky high anyway
Although Im freindly with owners, she is easily bribed with a bottle of red try a bribe !!
My 34 goes through with decat,as above car not on emissions list!!!! also used same guy for years:dogpile:

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DE-CAT QUESTIONS :-

My 34 goes through with decat,as above car not on emissions list!!!! also used same guy for years:dogpile:

With a de-cat pipe is it possible to add both a cat & silencer/mid-pipe should I ever need too?? - Martin.:cheers:

·
Registered
646 Posts
First off, if you're looking for a great exhaust, i can only recommend Kakimoto (spelling?). Phenomenal sound, not annoyingly loud, compatible with a cat for emissions (of which they sell cats for their kits too) and it's all about performance. I went from a stock exhaust to HKS's finest to a Kakimoto full n1 and it's noticeably better than the HKS one, which was still very nice. You can pick them up from nengun.com. Just select your car type and it'll filter down the parts for you.

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CHEERS !! :)

First off, if you're looking for a great exhaust, i can only recommend Kakimoto (spelling?). Phenomenal sound, not annoyingly loud, compatible with a cat for emissions (of which they sell cats for their kits too) and it's all about performance. I went from a stock exhaust to HKS's finest to a Kakimoto full n1 and it's noticeably better than the HKS one, which was still very nice. You can pick them up from nengun.com. Just select your car type and it'll filter down the parts for you.
Sweet thanks for the tip mate :) the exhaust I have at the mo is really loud and raspy and scares pedestrians when I put my foot down...whilst thats fun for a while its way way to loud... Is it me or are Cats really expensive !? Ive not found one new or 2nd had for under £100 :(

I'll check out 'Kakimoto' or whatever its called and see if they can help :) I do defo want a 5" or 5.5" back box...but its the rest of the exhaust pipe I need.. Cat & silencer included...but I'd like to have the option of being able to replace/swap in/out both the Cat and Silencer as well so I can find the noise level I'am happiest with as well as staying within the law :)

Anyhow I'll check them out now, Cheers - Martin.

·
... is modifying the driver
7,524 Posts
I've got a full JASMA exhaust (downpipe onwards) £120 a decent CAT £35 (got me through my last 4 MOTs) and a decat pipe £30 for sale off my R33 GTST was recorded at 101db at most track days I did

PM me if interested and I can provide pictures if required - pickup only though located on the Wirral CH46 - cheers

1 - 20 of 30 Posts