Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:attention::attention::attention:

As the title suggests, yesterday I snapped my bloody door-key in the lock of my R33, and to make matters worse it was the only key!!

My brother is gonna attempt to remove the bit of key thats stuck in the lock still (I presume) later this afternoon..

But now I have the problem that I cant open the car door/s to gain access..
:attention:
****HOW THE HELL CAN I GET INTO THE CAR ??
:attention:
****ONCE ACCESS GAINED (if gained) will have to lock again, but its a catch 22 cos then I'll need to gain access again ??

I do have 2 new Doors that I planned to fit soon and a complete set of new locks also that I got from https://www.facebook.com/skylinespares.essex?fref=ts

I really dont wanna break the window to gain access since the replacement windows aren't tinted and I just wanted to swap the windows over in the new doors etc..

WHAT SHOULD I DO ?? PLEASE HELP COS I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO !??

Please reply asap

Regards - Martin

·
Central Scotland Area Rep
2,447 Posts
get a mobile locksmith

they can get the part of the key out the lock and cut you a new key from the 2 broken bits

·
4,543 Posts
Can yo not still unlock it if the broken bit is in the lock just put the rest of the key in and turn it?

If you have new locks you could drill the old lock out once you have removed the bit of key, this is easy all you need is a strong magnet and a thin bit metal :) have done it a few times on cars for other people.

Davie

Sent using TapatalkHD

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
Luckily, the windows are frameless - find a wedge shaped item and place it right at the top corner of the glass, gently force it in which will pull the top corner of the glass out (it's not much, but enough to work with). With a stiff piece of wire (or whatever other item you think may work), hook the inner door lock and unlock it.
I've seen it done by the pros and I've also done it myself - you may not get it unlocked in the first 5 attempts, but keep at it, you'll get it!

As for the broken key - once the door is open, remove the door card to gain access to the lock. Remove the lock and take it, with the top part of your key to a locksmith, he will make you a new key from the parts you give him.
It's absolutely pointless buying a new set of locks and changing everything - its easier and cheaper to just get the lock(s) rekeyed.

Hope that helps :)

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can yo not still unlock it if the broken bit is in the lock just put the rest of the key in and turn it?

If you have new locks you could drill the old lock out once you have removed the bit of key, this is easy all you need is a strong magnet and a thin bit metal :) have done it a few times on cars for other people.

Davie

Sent using TapatalkHD
Strangely the lock seems to turn whist the other half of the key is locked...but the door doesn't open :( !? If I cant get the old bit of key out I may have to do this (drill the lock) :/ can you explain what would be involved ?

·
9,198 Posts
Please don't drill the lock out - it's completely unnecessary, it destroys a good lock and it's really the wrong way to tackle this job. Less damage and destruction, the better.

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Luckily, the windows are frameless - find a wedge shaped item and place it right at the top corner of the glass, gently force it in which will pull the top corner of the glass out (it's not much, but enough to work with). With a stiff piece of wire (or whatever other item you think may work), hook the inner door lock and unlock it.
I've seen it done by the pros and I've also done it myself - you may not get it unlocked in the first 5 attempts, but keep at it, you'll get it!

As for the broken key - once the door is open, remove the door card to gain access to the lock. Remove the lock and take it, with the top part of your key to a locksmith, he will make you a new key from the parts you give him.
It's absolutely pointless buying a new set of locks and changing everything - its easier and cheaper to just get the lock(s) rekeyed.

Hope that helps :)
How do I hook the inner door lock ? the inner door opener is a sort of rocker switch...do you mean the thing you pull to actually open the door from the inside ?

I sure hope I can get the other piece of key out that will save me a lot of hassle..

If I do that Ill get another key cut just for the time being...the current locks are really **** and are hard to turn anyway (need to wriggle the key a firmly but not roughly turn to open) and have already bought the new locks.. ..I have 2 new doors and a complete set of new/replacement locks..

Its just frustrating.. I will try all the above methods though and hopefully get it sorted asap...do you have a vid/pics of how to use the wedge on the window ...& would I use the wedge on the passenger side window and use the wire hook think by pushing it accross to the drivers side ??

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
any more help/info would be greatly received...and many thanks etc for the replies so far....I have to go out now but please keep posting as I'll be trying to get this sorted this afternoon - Martin :cheers:

·
9,198 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P82nlvqdyHI

Along the lines of this... obviously, he's doing with with a door frame, you're just doing it with the glass.
You're trying to unlock the door on the same side as the side you're working on.... think coat hanger wire, really stiff... put a 180 degree "hook" on the end to hook and pull that inner lock.

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P82nlvqdyHI

Along the lines of this... obviously, he's doing with with a door frame, you're just doing it with the glass.
You're trying to unlock the door on the same side as the side you're working on.... think coat hanger wire, really stiff... put a 180 degree "hook" on the end to hook and pull that inner lock.

Is it easier to go in from the top of the glass or from the side ??

·
9,198 Posts
Is it easier to go in from the top of the glass or from the side ??
Have a play... probably the side but you'll find the spot where you get the most leverage on the glass :)

·
4,543 Posts
Please don't drill the lock out - it's completely unnecessary, it destroys a good lock and it's really the wrong way to tackle this job. Less damage and destruction, the better.
Drilling out was a last resort as he said he had a whole set of new locks anyway soi am assuming he planned on changing them?

If the lock turns I don't understand how it's not unlocking the door?

Sent using TapatalkHD

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
I had new keys made to the barrel when a garage lost them

1 - 20 of 27 Posts