Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone just wondering if anyone is able to give me any clue as to what is making this knocking noise, I am rather worried that it is something major, but I am hoping it isnt!!! Thanks for any help :D

http://youtu.be/VS1TfcVChjg

·
Stoke-on-Trent
3,110 Posts
You say it happened after overboost ? Im no mechanic but could you have taken it a bit far and the big end has started knocking ? Im only saying this as mine went last year, whilst being thrashed on a dyno but it didnt sound as bad as that :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You say it happened after overboost ? Im no mechanic but could you have taken it a bit far and the big end has started knocking ? Im only saying this as mine went last year, whilst being thrashed on a dyno but it didnt sound as bad as that :(
i wouldnt say it was being thrashed, took off in first and it seemed to spike and overboost and then one i changed gears the knocking noise was there.

is there any signs that i could look for from your experience?

·
Stoke-on-Trent
3,110 Posts
i wouldnt say it was being thrashed, took off in first and it seemed to spike and overboost and then one i changed gears the knocking noise was there.

is there any signs that i could look for from your experience?
Im not sure mate, i dont think there are any visible signs. I would take it to a garage to get it checked, or better still get a mechanic come to you, as i wouldnt like drive it with that knocking, you could cause more issues and more expense. There are some very knowledgable guys on here, perhaps give them a bit of time, to see if they see this thread .Wish i could be more help dude .....

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
Exhaust is blowing badly

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
I say exhaust manifold/gasket. Mine did exactly the same before I took the engine out. I had at least one loose stud and a very sooty gasket. I also changed two lifters that didn't feel right but I don't think it was them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers for all the help guys, checked mani bolts and three were finger tight so shall tighten those up and see how it goes, if not guess its off to the mechanics in the morning! :(

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
Those will probably be broken and the gasket shot mate

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
had it looked at by an exhaust shop, bad news is manifold has a small crack and the gasket is gone, having said this is better news than needing to rebuild the engine :D cheers for the help guys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts