Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi I have a 92 R32 GTS-4 which is standard apart from a boost gauge, turbo timer and a stainless steal free flow exhaust, iv only had the car for about a week and today the rev would drop from 900 rpm all the way down and shut off. It kept on doing it each time i tried starting it. So I had adjusted the throttle cable until it stay on an no the exhaust keeps on popping.

What could be causing the revs to drop and shut of the car?

·
Peppered schlong
860 Posts
Sounds like the idle control valve is playing up. Do a search on here for removing, cleaning and setting up the icv. I wouldn't adjust the throttle cable to sort the idle.

Rixter

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started the car today and it was fine, I had put the revs back to 900 rpm for idle, let the car warm up to see if it shits off but it was fine. will I still need to clean the idle control valve? could it just be the MAF as a spare one had came with the car. also what should the rb20det be idling at?

·
Peppered schlong
860 Posts
I would clean the icv and then set up the idle once the engine is up to temperature.

·
Peppered schlong
860 Posts
My Rb25det idles about 800 once warm.

·
Peppered schlong
860 Posts
I can not set my idle any lower than 800 for some reason. I put it down to having an rsp mapped ecu. That or the cold start valve is knackered, but that's a complete ***** on mine for access.

·
Peppered schlong
860 Posts
So that leaves the cold start valve then. Unless there is anything else that can alter the idle speed?

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Banter's link is a very useful one. Pinching the hose between the AAC and ICV should rule out a sticking ICV and might bring the idle down (if I've read it all correctly!).

·
Registered
306 Posts
I just got my ecu back from rsp and idle is at 850 was only bout 650-700 when I took it off, with the cutting out, check signal and resistance from cas sensor when hot and cold, my rb25 would cut out intermittently wen hot turned out to be high resistance

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
i had done every thing on these link but the car still shuts off once warm, so I then replaced the whole unit but still no good. Know iv managed to keep it on even once the engine has warmed up, I had changed the position of the sensor that is on the throttle body by bit to keep it on but it is know idling at 1000.

what is the sensor on the throttle body and can they go faulty?
if I replace the sensor or clean it (if possible) will it sort my problem out?

the car is a R32 GTS-4 RB20DET

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
when I had bought the car it had came with a rising sun performance ecu which is not installed. Is there a method that I need to do to install it? will there be any difference in the performance of the car as it is all standard apart from the de cat stainless steal exhaust from downpipe.

the car is a R32 GTS-4 RB20DET

·
Peppered schlong
860 Posts
Rsp ecu's are normally a generic map for stage 1 mods, exhaust, de-cat, induction kit, fmic, etc. Unless the car was mapped on the road with it's current mods.
You will need to set up the tps now you have adjusted it (throttle position sensor) but afaik you need nissan consult to do that!

Rixter

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey man did you end up finding out the problem? im having the same thing happen and when i drive it, it shuts down but all my electrics are still there, i just have nothing in the throttle. ive changed the ecu,afm,cam sensor,tps and cleaned the idle valve. only started doing it when i changed the idle valve hose and the heater hose which is plumped back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts