Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, really need some help with this one i have a r33 n/a and have lost all power to side lights front back and dash,
ive checked all fuses and bulbs but all ok?

any ideas????? please

:wtf:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
didnt do anything before hand just noticed the dash stop working then my partner followed me and told me i had no rear lights either, then checked front and number plate lights and all out??????:dunno:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do u mean the fuses under the cover in the boot next to the battery, if so is it the ones nearest to you?
thanks

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
What do you mean by 'side lights'?

Have you recently fitted a stereo? The illumination wire shows up as an earth when its not live so people assume its an earth, ground it and when they turn the lights on bang, it blows the fuse.
That circuit is your dash lights and tail lights which will be a 10A fuse, the fuse box is by the drivers knee.

·
9,198 Posts
The illumination circuit I mentioned is in the cabin....
Grab a test light and just test them? Its much quicker than asking on here!

·
9,198 Posts
Did you use a test light? Pulling each one out and looking at it is not only slow but you dont always see a blown fuse.
On the fuse there is a small bit of exposed metal on each side, thats for testing them!

·
9,198 Posts
have lost all power to side lights front back and dash
Just reread this and I want to be clear..... your head lights, tail lights and dash lights all dont work? What do you mean by side lights?

Tail lights and dash lights are on one circuit
Headlights are on another circuit
So if all fuses are fine then it yeah, it may be the switch or a plug. You have shrouds that cover the ignition area, within that or around that area will be a plug for the lights. Make sure thats plugged in (if nothing has been touched I would say its plugged in). Dont touch any yellow looms/plugs. Thats air bag if yours has them!
Failing that, test it has power coming into that plug, there should be a permanent power there. When you turn lights on it should power up at least 1 wire probably more. So test with the lights off and find a known power. Turn the lights on and see if you can find more power wires. If you cant it will probably be the switch. By switch I mean the stalk! Its fairly easy to replace if thats the problem

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
hi, my main headlights work fine as do break lights. its everything connected to the first click on the stalk. ie dip beem lights, number plate lights, dial glow,back lights etc.

how do u take stalk apart?

is there any fuses under the bonnet of an n/a????

·
9,198 Posts
Brakes are a totally different circuit, the switch for that is on the pedal!
You need to remove the ignition shrouds (top and bottom panels just behind the wheel), there are about 6 screws that you will find from the underside of the shroud. (one will be hidden under the up/down lever)
With that off, you should be able to turn your wheel to 3 o'clockish and see some screws at the base of the stalk. Its those screws that hold the stalk in there.
To take the entire combination switch off you need to remove the steering wheel which I dont think you will need to do.
Going by what you have said I would say the fault is in the tip of that stalk, the bit that spins to turn lights on. The highbeam is on a different switch (push it forward or pull it back)

As a slightly dodgy way to figure out where the fault is (after testing to make sure there is no power leaving the switch), find the plug for that stalk. Find the power wire so you have a known 12v. Then get a short length of wire and bridge power to another wire and see if it lights anything up. Ok you may blow a fuse at worst if your unluckily enough to pick the earth but thats easy fixed.
With electrics its all about elimination, go as close as you can to the possible problem area (that plug) and start testing for power. It eliminates many many other possibilities straight away.
Lol its so hard to pass on knowledge like this over the net but its so easy to do when you have the knowledge.

Any more questions feel free to ask! If ya need any specific info I can try explain it in a bit more detail!

·
9,198 Posts
No worries man :) Thats what the forums are all about!
Let me know how you get on, I'm quite curious as I havent heard of that part failing. No doubt its happened before but its certainly not common!

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
do u mean the fuses under the cover in the boot next to the battery, if so is it the ones nearest to you?
thanks
Yes there is a fuse box next to the battery, in the boot. 3rd fuse in from the end nearest the boot.

these are in the boot near the battery

Rear fusebox

Reading from top to bottom

65A - Main
45A - Blower
30A - 4WD/LSD
30A - IGN SW

15A - FUEL PUMP
20A - HEAD L RH
20A - HEAD L LH
10A - ALT S (Alternator perhaps???????)
10A - TAIL L
20A - HICAS
15A - AUDIO

That is the fuse lay out in the boot, the audio one is nearest to you so obv work in over. The TAIL L fuse is the one you need to check

1 - 20 of 38 Posts