Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the car I purchased is an R33 GTS-T but I was wondering if there are any more specifics on the model you all might be able to help out with from the following pictures located here:

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o190/madhatta5/skyline/

I know its turbo'd and has the RB25DET and is rear wheel drive but is it Vspec I or II or anything like that? The only other information I have that might be helpful is the VIN starts with ECR. What kind of limitations do I have on body, motor, interior or any other parts? Or are the parts all pretty interchangable between the different R33 skylines?

·
bla
17,374 Posts
only gtrs are vspecs..

yours is a spec 1 r33 gtst, a very clean one at that....Great. Its also standard. A great starting base.. And i also see a flare in the passengers footwell...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so spec 1 awesome. I wasn't sure about the whole spec designation on these vehicles. Spec 1 is the generation of R33 I am assuming? Yeah definitely a standard I should have specified. What does the flare in the passenger footwell mean?

Are my options pretty open for parts on this thing or are other models more common to find aftermarket and OEM stuff for?

Thanks for the compliments on the ride and the help, I am loving this vehicle.

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
does it have a small black box on top the engine between the cam covers at the rear of the engine or do you have another photo of the rear of the engine to look at

if it does it's a spec 1 engine if not then you have a spec 2 engine, the difference being the spec 1 has an ingnition amplifier (the black box) going to the coil packs where as the spec 2 has individual amps on each coil pack, you will need to know this if you ever need to upgrade them

·
Registered
218 Posts
yep parts and upgrade parts are plentifull now adays so shop around, use reputiple sellers, garages and recognised brands just beware of cheap copies ;)
the flare was a saftey feature for the japanese market beats or warning triangle ehh ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does it have a small black box on top the engine between the cam covers at the rear of the engine or do you have another photo of the rear of the engine to look at

if it does it's a spec 1 engine if not then you have a spec 2 engine, the difference being the spec 1 has an ingnition amplifier (the black box) going to the coil packs where as the spec 2 has individual amps on each coil pack, you will need to know this if you ever need to upgrade them
I am not sure but I will take another picture of the engine and post it up on photobucket later on today. If you could please check back I will make another post in this thread one its there.

But Spec 1 or 2 is not going to make a difference for anything body wise? Which engine is better?

Will 07 350z rims work on this vehicle? They are an 18" rim. My buddy is buying new rims for his so I figured they would lokk nice as a temp solution as I am not digging the stockies too much.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks MrScottish I will check out the article.

My buddy and I were talking right now and we were wondering what size tires are optimal for 18" or 19" wheels or if 19" wheels will even work on this car without causing any issues to drivability or throwing check engine lights or messing uo the speedo or anything of that sort. Any more help is appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I was reading that article on Wikipedia and it said that some models have super HICAS and some just have regular (electronic vs. hydraulic) I guess. I see the HICAS light on the dash but is there any way to tell which one I have? Also is anyone able to tell the type of LSD I have - active or viscious they are calling it. If not I will take a look for the lights on the tachometer when I get home to see if I can tell. If I am asking questions that need more pictures please let me know and I would be happy to take them.

Thanks again for helping out the skyline newb guys.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info Hi5 I will check for the light.

How were you able to tell about the type of hicas and the spec 1 engine?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
hi5 and mr t are some of my favourites here great guys and very helpfull,my car is same spec as yours turbo ceramic with metal blades,some spec 2 owners use spec 1 turbos:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The ceramic turbos are a pain to rebuild though I know that. I have one in my silvia with the swapped RB25DET. Any idea on where to get a used one of those turbos that work well? That turbo is from a 1997 skyline.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
sometimes you can find them here or ebay,if mine was nakered id probably buy a hks off ebay good tuner shops there,also check out my usefull link in tech. and search button is quite informative:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh ok the thing on wikipedia said something about the r33 having two different types so I didn't know.

·
Number 1 Monkey
591 Posts
Right to avoid any confusion with you - your car is a spec 1 GTS-T. All spec 1 cars came with a steel turbine as opposed to ceramic. It was later revisions (spec2) that came with a ceramic turbine. That is what Hi5 meant by the spec 1 engine. It means that it should handle a bit more boost.

Also worth checking if you have ABS as the early GTS-T's dont have it (if you have it - the ABS unit is on the right hand side of the engine bay by the firewall).

Finally welcome to the forum!!! :D

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
Right to avoid any confusion with you - your car is a spec 1 GTS-T. All spec 1 cars came with a steel turbine as opposed to ceramic. It was later revisions (spec2) that came with a ceramic turbine. That is what Hi5 meant by the spec 1 engine. It means that it should handle a bit more boost.
NO THIS IS NOT TRUE!

EARLY spec 1 cars have a steel exhaust wheel. All r33 turbos have ceramic compressor wheels.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts