Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turbo has started making some strange whirring and whistling noises and the power seems to have dropped off a little. It has sounded a whiny for some time, but not affected performance. I suspect this will mean a new turbo and that is where I need some help...

What options do I have when changing the turbo and who should I use to do it and approximately how much will it cost and where will I get the parts from. I am in West Yorkshire.

My apologies if the this sound a little ignorant, but any opinions or ideas welcomed.

Cheers
Alex

·
Registered
733 Posts
Having you checked all the piping? Might be worth a look first! But the whiny noise doesn't sound great!

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
does sound like it on its way out but its not the end of the world another 2nd hand one can be had for less than a £100... Can you fit things like that yourself? Its easily do-able by a first timer

West Yorkshire is RBMotorsport country.. www.osgiken.co.uk for their directions but they only fit parts they sell you, you can't take a turbo you found at a bargain price there.

Your options entirely depend on how much you have free to spend...

·
GT-TR HAKAN
337 Posts
if you are running your engine on it's limits then this will result in failure of the turbo and if you dont put up the boost too much and tune it sensibly then you will have no problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm now intrigued as to what I could achieve if I spent a little extra! So a couple more questions if you will indulge me:

Where would I get a reconditioned turbo - I assume my local Nissan garage could fit it for me - I am not very hands on with engines etc
If I were to buy a new one I assume I could get something a little bigger - what sort of price would I be looking at and again where would be a good place to buy.
If I wanted to spend a couple of grand, what could I achieve in terms of increased power etc and what else would I need to get done...?

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
www.turbocentreuk.com - very helpful and the cheapest you'll find to upgrade your standard turbo, this will fit straight back on and be by far the cheapest option.

Buy an old knackered turbo second hand for about £100 for your car.

They will Collect this old knackered turbo, remove all the knackered or old internals, completely upgrade them and bore out the old one so it has a much larger air flow

Don't take it to nissan they'll charge you the earth and are pretty much guaranteed to have less knowledge on these cars than any other small local garage and deliver it back to you with 3 day turnround
for my r33gtst its £675 all inclusive and it can run upto 1.5bar which if you have all the other mods it could easily run well over 400bhp

and sell your old knackered turbo for £100 for someone else to do the same :D

PS where do you live? so we can offer some suggestions who is trustworthy to take it to.

The supporting mods you'd need (going by you have a 100% stock car) would be
3" exhaust,
Decat pipe,
Downpipe,
Turbo elbow,
Upgraded sparkplugs
Splitfire Coilpacks
ECU upgrade
Fuel pressure regulator
Upgrade Clutch
Upgrade fuel pump
Upgrade air filter
AFM upgrade
Electronic Boost Controller

Then you'd need to get it al mapped which is an extra £350ish
Not cheap.... but soooo worthwhile lol

Check out Japspeed the trader on here for alot of these items, the prices are fantastic for very good quality items :)

If you don't want to stretch that far could could run the turbo at 1bar and with a Air/Fuel controller instead of the ECU upgrade and mapping and most of those parts you could get 350bhp out of it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts