Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 91' R32 GTS25 coupe and I am trying to put together a full plan for the +T upgrade. This is just a street car but not daily driven, my goal with this engine is no more than 250ish hp to the wheels. More or less just making it the way it would of been if Nissan would of made an R32 GTS25T from the factory. So I think I have all of the mechanical plans sorted, this is a stock RB25DE so I'm thinking a t28 or t3/4 at 7 psi, fmic, R33 GTS25T injectors, walbro 255, plenum intake manifold, etc. I would even be open to swapping on a stock R33 GTS25T manifold/turbo if a complete setup in good condition was available. What I am really unsure of is what to do about the ecu/engine management, I would like something that is as simple/reliable/plug and play as possible and need advice. I don't really want to have to take it to get dynoed and tuned if possible, I'd highly prefer something I could do myself. I can do engine swaps and solve mechanical problems all day but engine management computer stuff is not my strong suit. So what would be the simplest option...remapped ecu, chipped ecu, piggyback, standalone....is there even an option for getting this setup running good that wouldn't involve taking it somewhere to get tuned?

I have searched this topic quite a bit and found several people that have done it but no one really mentions the engine management part of the +T upgrade. If someone could point me in the direction of a good write up or give me some good advice I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
As soon as you mess with the engine, you should get a custom map, especially if you're running decent boost. You might be able to find and get away with a pre-configured map but it will never be optimal and you'd be at risk of over / under fueling etc, or even detonation. I have done the mapping on my own (HKS FCON piggy-back setup) but it is extremely time consuming. It is fun, but ultimately it would be a lot easier to buy a suitable aftermarket system and pay an experienced tuner to get it all sorted (which I might do anyway). Stuff like this doesn't come cheaply I'm afraid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, that's pretty much what I was thinking, I do have a good shop that could do it not too far away...I just always prefer to do things myself when possible.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a Link G4+ in mine. They are about £1400 over here ( or they were at least). They have quite a bit of scope for lots of mods though so there are definitely cheaper standalones out there.
I agree with BennyT it's best to get a tuner to do a remap. Have an ask round other owners maybe and see who's recommended. Most tuners worth a damn will help you select something that suits your wallet needs and that they have experience with.
Getting them tuned can be a bit expensive but you shouldn't need to do it again unless you make changes.

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
Engine management is not rocket science but does take a bit of a learning curve, you can learn yourself I did it, but it takes interest and commitment and it's always a bit of a risk but if you take things slow, steady and sensible its doable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts