Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my standard r33 gts-t has just ran a 14.1 quarter mile with **** rear tyres. i find this quite insulting so i want more power!

first things first! how much power can the standard gearbox cope with, also the diff and driveshafts and prop shaft. i don't want to increase the power only to snap a shaft or brake my box!

once i know that, whats the best way to start modifying my engine and how much power can i get before i need to start replacing things like pistons, cranks, cams and all that sort of internal stuff!

i'll be doing most of the work myself and am quite capable of doing it, but obviously a lot of you have already tuned your cars so i want some help so that i don't waste my time and money on rubbish!

cheers guys and girls!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Good news is the standard drivetrain can withstand a serious amount of power increase.
In fact, unless you use drag type tyres, a standard box would take as much power as you could fit under the bonnet. Obviously the tyres and traction become the limiting factor.

Regarding the engine bits, it all depends on where you want to be. For example if you wanted 800hp, you would strip your engine and throw away 90% of the parts, and replace them with special items built for revs and power. Very expensive indeed, as most other items need full rebuilds too. i.e. fuel system, ECU, Turbo+exhaust+ic, clutch, etc, etc

So you need to pick a bhp rating and then build up a shopping list for that power. There are also many different ways of getting that power.

The search function should show what others have done.

·
Registered
148 Posts
How do you find that insulting when a standard R33 GTS-T is supposed to make 14.39 at a quarter mile?????

You did better than a stock standard R33 GTS-T...unless if you have some minor modifications. Do you have a turbo back exhaust??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i reckon about 500 bhp would be nice! is that a reasonable amount to expect from the original engine internals?

i didn't fully explain my disappointment with my quarter mile time. it was the fact that ahead of me at 13.9 was a vauxhall astra! ok he was heavily modified and a bit lighter than me but..... an astra none the less!

my car is totally standard. as from the factory. including the wheels.

what is the first step to more power then? new turbo? intercooler? i'm not sure!

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
These first few items should get you going and spending those pennies.

1) induction kit
2) downpipe with turbo elbow
3) De-cat
4) Cat back exhaust
5) Boost controller set to 0.80bar
6) Alloys
7) lower the car
8) front mount
9) ECU upgrade.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can't remember now but i got a feelin it was 101. i've thrown my timing cards away coz i was annoyed at getting beaten by an astra!

i've got alloys to put on the car! 18" mito t1r's. they will do the job i think. induction kit is on its way!

what make of intercooler is good? how big should i go for? can i get rid of the viscous fan and put an electric one in?

is it worth changing the actuator on my current turbo or just getting a whole new one?

can i de-cat and still pass MOT emissions?

as for the ecu, do i need a new one or can the old one be re-mapped?

if i need a new one, where can i get one from!

so many questions!

cheers for helping though!

·
Belgium/Netherlands Area Rep
2,060 Posts
enough makes for ic: blitz, greddy, hks, japspeed, eGay, ...
dont see why you cant trade the viscous fan for an electric one but why bother ?

just for now id leave the actuator and simply get an electronic boost controller to up the boost to 0.8 / 0.85 bar , if you stick with the 500BHP goal then buy a GReddy TD06-25G tubby when you have the £ :D

some member pass MOT without, some dont, guess it depends from station to station although chances are getting slimmer nowadays

you will need an aftermarket ecu from apexi, greddy, hks, aem available from the traders or straight from japan or again eGay

·
Registered
962 Posts
Use the search function fella.

You will find thread after thread on here giving advice on every single question you have listed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.