Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday and today Hicas warning light comes on after about 15 mins. Stop and switch off - restart and it comes on again after about 15 mins. Anybody had this before? Is it buggered?

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
often hicas problems are due to aftermarket steering wheel's used without the proper hicas boss - basically the hicas takes an input from the steering angle , after a while of driving without this input the hicas eventually decides somethings wrong and disables itself

other things that cause probs are - low voltage due to faulty alternator etc, or low fluid levels for the hicas hydraulics (if you've hydraulic hicas rather than the solenoid type)

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Alex,
The hicas on a 33 isnt hydraulic but i suspect that you are right about the steering wheel or more imprtantly the hicas boss, or lack of. This is classic behaviour

Paul

E

·
0 Posts
Big power stereos,especially big bass boxes in the boot have been known to mess with the hicas

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
have you tried the running the diagnostics?

from SDU:

Switch ingition off, transmission in neutral or auto in Park.
Start engine
Very quickly (with a couple of seconds), turn the steering wheel left and right about 20 degrees from centre five times, and then pump the brakes five times, then press the brake pedal once more - this will enter diagnostic mode.
Drive forwards or backwards about 5 metres at a speed less than 10k/ph, this will enter full diagnostic mode.
The HICAS light in the instrument cluster will be flashing quickly (for normal) or will flash a code indicating any problems. Long flash = first digit, short flash = second digit. Diagnostics will return to normal after five minutes, or any speed over 10k/ph, or ingnition is turned off.

HICAS 1994-1999
11 HICAS control unit
12 HICAS motor power supply not present
13 HICAS motor output not present
21 Vehicle speed sensor not present
22 Steering angle sensor not present
23 Steering angle sensor neutral or not present
24 Rear main sensor input not present
25 Rear sub sensor input not present
31 Parking brake sensor input not present
32 (Auto) Inhibititor switch input not present

(Manual) Neutral switch input not present

32 Engine speed signal not present

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
OBR,
I take it this is a recent thing then and it has been fine in the past. Have you had any work done on the car lately?

Pope

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
Hi my hicas did this turns out my battery was on the way out!
After replacing it make sure all 4 wheels are aligned then reconnect this cured my hicas problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well...........I haven't got the knack!! Can I get the Hicas to go into self diagnosis mode?......Can I bugger!! I've been going backwards and forwards across the Co-Op car park for about an hour and a half,....... nothing!!

BUT - now you mention it, this problem started after I had a Cat 1 alarm fitted just before Xmas. Yesterday was the first time since then that I've gone anywhere in the Skyline.

Don't suppose the Fitter has upset the hicas somehow? Anyone got any ideas what to do? - Remember, it wont go into self diagnosis mode.

·
Banned
5,443 Posts
If he disconnected the battery to fit the alarm and the wheels were not in perfect alignment when it was reconnected, then that may well be the answer.
The Hicas system reads the position of the steering wheel and road speed and wheels (rear) position and it probably is confused.
Maybe a battery dis connect and re align the wheels then re connect will sort it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Isaac, I think I love you!!!!!!!!!

Of course!! He would have had to disconnect the battery to fit the damn alarm system!!!!

By jove I think you may have got it old boy.

Ok, when I disconnect the battery, do I just line up the front wheels by sight, or is there some devilishly clever secret Skyline owners thing I have to do first? (you know, roll up one trouser leg, hop round the car backwards etc!!)

Seriously - is there a way of ensuring the wheels are aligned?

Thanks Isaac, that has GOT to be it!

I'll let everyone know the result as soon as I get the chance to get out there in daylight (probably Sunday)

Thanks everyone and HNY

·
Sil80 Driver
2,313 Posts
Old Boy Racer said:
Ok, when I disconnect the battery, do I just line up the front wheels by sight, or is there some devilishly clever secret Skyline owners thing I have to do first? (you know, roll up one trouser leg, hop round the car backwards etc!!)

No, you will find out what that does when you come to a meet.... :whip:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts