Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for one of the following.... Don't ask why as you really don't want to know why, I feel dumb enough already....

Either:

1: An R32 GTS-T (Type M) ECU (RB20DET),

2: Someone who has an EPROM reader/writer who can make me a chip for said car,

3: A Replacement ECU. (Power FC for an RB20DET lying around in your cupboard perchance?)

4: A miracle.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Eek! Been practising your home electronics again and cooked something have we..?

My guess is trying to fit a chip carrier or trying to make it light up like eveything else :D

Paul

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
i think someone attempted a bit of home mapping. and it went like a prostitute on a bed.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, ok then...

Here goes. First one to laugh gets a smack in the mouth....

Got my new custom EPROM for the ECU the other day, and went to a local electronics wizardry place to have the existing chip removed, the 28pin socket fitted, and the chip inserted.

Hey presto, took about an hour of a guy sitting with HUGE magnifying gogles on working away, and it was done.

Insert ECU into car...... Bolt into place..... Twitching with anticipation of more power.....

Turn on ignition....... Engine check light (the little pic of a catalytic convertor) flashes on and off constantly. No error code, just on off on off on off.

Bugger... Methinks. What'll happen when I turn the key?

Started up no problem, check light still flashing. Idled ok too.

Drives like a f***ing pile of sh*t tho.
Can't press the throttle more than an inch without it lurching and stuttering badly. Any hint of boost is met with great unpleasantness. Was all I could do to get her home.

Problem - The original chip lost a leg during the removal.

Have spent all day today discussing said problem with the guy I got the chip from, tested reisitance, continuity etc and the socket seems perfectly installed. So, the problem is either the chip is screwed (worst case wait a week for a new one) or the ECU itself has gone bye-bye (worst case god only knows how much they cost).

Borrowing an original EPROM hopefully to check whether its the chip or the ECU. Fingers crossed.

I have wind of an RB20DET PowerFC for sale tho, which may be my saviour (ie good excuse to get one). Again, fingers crossed.

Right now, I am Bl**dy furious. WIth myself mostly for not leaving well enough alone. I just hope its the chip thats faulty.

E

·
0 Posts
Thats 1 hell of a right hook you`ve got there.

A wise man once said "if it aint broken then why are you trying to fix it"

Unlucky mate,hope you get it sorted soon :rofl:

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
EEK!

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Come on Dr Jock some bugger has got to have one lurking around, have you tried the usual suspects, Abbey etc, if any one has upgraded the original must be out there somewhere.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
I thought GSport had one for sale ? in a shape or form or flavour for R32 ?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well....

I want to determine whether its the chip or the ECU, so I am borrowing a standard chip first to see..... If its the chip then all is not lost, if its the ECU then I'll be making a lot of phone calls....

Dr Jock's Home electronics lab has been busy fault finding today, and all the circuits seem ok so I am starting to suspect its just the chip. Although, my luck has never been that good before so knowing me the whole thing is fcuked.

And yes, it is possible to have the ECU light up in neon blue.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
And yes, it is possible to have the ECU light up in neon blue.
Only you would know that... actually who said anything about being blue :D

·
Registered
469 Posts
There's an easier way to replace the original chip with a socket.

Get some wire cutters and cut each leg of the original chip just below the bend. Then stand the socket in place where the chip was and solder each socket leg to the corresponding decapitated leg sticking up from the circuit board.

Of course your original chip will now be utterly useless.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Grebo...

Had thought about that but the risks are too great.... Socket is handier...

Anyways... Dr Jock's electronics boutique and computer wizardry salon has struck again..... I Fixed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well..... Rather... I managed to get a new leg onto the original chip (it lost one in the proceedings of removing it), and its back in the car and it runs! Well... No nasty warning lights. Off to take her for a spin and make sure all is well.

My conclusion is that the custom chip got damaged in transit. At least I know the ECU ain't broken again.

I HAVE A CAR AGAIN!

Pity the brakes are still fooked up.

Off for a test drive... At least with the ECU out for 2 days it will re-learn.... And there's half a tank of optimax waiting to be guzzled.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts