Skyline Owners Forum banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
DriftSlaGG
1,260 Posts
Hey Andy, ive been avin a go at this polishing lark, bought a lil polishing kit on egay, 3 buffing wheels, brown cutting compound and blue polishing compound, ive been taking the cast ali item down flat with a drill attachment with sanding pads on it.

Currently doing my intake pipe GTST, its taking bloody ages, lol

Any tips would be cool, ive spent about 4 hours on it so far and only done about 35% on it, this sound a bout right? My arms are killing me and my drill is just about dead, lol

Thanks

Paul

·
The Cunning Linguist
13,826 Posts
Die Grinder, Dremel, Autosol, Polishing compound and hours and hours of work mate :D
For my first attempt at xover pipe, took about 6hours to get close to a good finish, double that for the plenum. :D

Keep going son :D

·
DriftSlaGG
1,260 Posts
progress so far, just done the top half of the inlet pipe

with regards to the rest of it, i thought nah [email protected]#k that, the pipe took me approx 8 hours, just to do the top half, foobarr`d my drill, but i have forearms like popeye the sailor.

So, i ordered some bits of andy, top plenum, throttle body and cam covers.

I`ll post up a pic when its all installed.

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Hey Andy, ive been avin a go at this polishing lark, bought a lil polishing kit on egay, 3 buffing wheels, brown cutting compound and blue polishing compound, ive been taking the cast ali item down flat with a drill attachment with sanding pads on it.

Currently doing my intake pipe GTST, its taking bloody ages, lol

Any tips would be cool, ive spent about 4 hours on it so far and only done about 35% on it, this sound a bout right? My arms are killing me and my drill is just about dead, lol

Thanks

Paul
Hi matey, yeah your on the right track there, on the average part, probably 75% of the time is prep, the actual polishing is only the final stages of the whole process to get a flawless finish. Its not just about getting the alloy smooth in terms of surface texture, it must also be flat along any length of the part, so when you look across the edge of a part, its flat, not wavy / bumpy if you see what i mean.

Mirror polishing will only highlight these imperfections and make the waves / lumps more pronounced, so get it ultra smooth and flat before you go onto compounds or you will find yourself unsatisfied with the finished product.

Die Grinder, Dremel, Autosol, Polishing compound and hours and hours of work mate :D
For my first attempt at xover pipe, took about 6hours to get close to a good finish, double that for the plenum. :D

Keep going son :D
Yes, when your learning you need lots of time and patience, dont expect to much too soon, practice makes perfect, it really does!

Pneumatic die grinder? better for higher speeds to generate more heat?
Hi rpm tools are good for the detailed abrasive stages, so when you are getting into all those tight knooks an crannys, i take rotary tools upto about 20'000 rpm for optimum performance, good balance between work rate and product life (as long as the tool is rated up to that speed, please be carefull when doing this at home guys, wear deecent goggles! Mine have saved my eyes many times when things have let go)

But high speed is no good when using compounds, its about the contact speed. If your tool spins at 2000 rpm and you use a 3" mop, the contact speed will be much faster than if you use a 2" mop (cant remember the formula but have it somewhere if anyone wants it) The torque of your tool is more important, you want to be able to press on hard and the tool be able to maintain the speed. If your using a 6" mop, 2000 rpm is plenty, if the tool is slowing down, your pressing on to hard, the power of your tool will denote how long it will take you to complete each actual polishing stage. Here consistancy and polishing evenly is most important.

If your mop is falling to bits or your compound is smoking your contact speed is too fast, turn your tool speed down or use a smaller mop.

Using polishing compounds and mops creates a massive amout of friction and heat, dont just put up with burning your fingers all the time, use gloves. If you dont, you will eventually kill off the heat sensing nerves in your finger tips and thump. Then you'll take something out the oven that didnt feel hot, then wonder why blisters have suddenly appeared, (speaking from experience) and you wont be doing any polishing with blisters on your fingers, so wear gloves.

progress so far, just done the top half of the inlet pipe

with regards to the rest of it, i thought nah [email protected]#k that, the pipe took me approx 8 hours, just to do the top half, foobarr`d my drill, but i have forearms like popeye the sailor.

So, i ordered some bits of andy, top plenum, throttle body and cam covers.

I`ll post up a pic when its all installed.
Hi matey, thats looking really good! Nice one for having a go yourself!

ha ha, i'll let you know when i start yours matey! Cheers

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
And oh yes..... if you are just using drills, be aware that this kind of work will destroy the bushes in them in a fairly short space of time, but on a positive note, yes you get good forearms, and over time, quite over developed thumb muscles, lol, good for a vice grip!

·
DriftSlaGG
1,260 Posts
Once its all done Andy, what was that polish you recommended to use very 2 weeks to keep it all shiney?

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
The polish I now recommend is called autosol aluminium polish, iv spent lots of time with it using it on mirror polished alloy that I have left out in the rain to induce oxidisation and it’s just as good in my opinion at removing oxidisation and maintaining the finish as a product I have recommended in the past but this is much more user friendly and works faster.

It’s fairly new, my supplier has only been able to get it for about 4 months, and it’s just getting to the stage where it’s readily available.

Don’t confuse this with Autosol metal polish. Autosol metal polish has been around longer than I have, it used to be called Solvol. Autosol metal polish is a household, basic, quite abrasive metal polish, it comes in a black and gold tube or tin, it’s fantastic for getting the yellow stains / tarnishing off your exhaust tip, but too abrasive to maintain my standard of finish.

Recently, autosol have developed 7 new products, the detailing guys may use some of them? The most recent of which is Autosol aluminium polish. Whereas the previous metal polish was fine for many metals, this has been developed specifically for aluminium. It has a higher wax contact and protection properties to protect the surface of the alloy, so it stays looking perfect for longer. Autosol aluminium polish looks very similar to the metal polish, but it comes in a black and silver tube, not the black and gold one.

The easiest place for you guys to get it from is probably now e-bay, I’d be surprised if you found it over the counter. I would put a link to it, but it will just be useless when the listing ends, but I’m sure you’ll find it, so you want the autosol aluminium polish in the silver and black tube, not the autosol metal polish in the black and gold tube. If your not sure though pm me the link and I’ll confirm.

Every 2 weeks max mate, I do mine every few months or so and it don’t really need doing then, it just depends on how often the car has been used in the rain and if you live close to the coast (salt in the air) it takes me 5 minutes. All you need is a quick rub on and a quick buff off every few weeks / months and it’ll look perfect forever! Any questions please ask guys

·
616 to 150bhp :(
1,201 Posts
Andy,

Did you get my PMs mate? I've posted the pipes off to you (should arrive today via APC courier), but awaiting a few answers via PM.

Carl.

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Andy,

Did you get my PMs mate? I've posted the pipes off to you (should arrive today via APC courier), but awaiting a few answers via PM.

Carl.

Responded matey, will be on their way back to you today, (as discussed) Many thanks!

·
616 to 150bhp :(
1,201 Posts
Thanks Andy, yo da man!

Light was failing when I took the pics, so will get some better ones tomorrow in the sun with my proper camera.

Need to replace my blue hoses with red ones (before anyone says it), that's the next step.

The bottom intake pipe was the one I did myself Andy, shame you can't really see much of it. Must say a BIG thanks to you for the lengthy text conversation about the black magic art of polishing. Was very pleased with my first attempt - very satisfying work.

Also, Mr Brown turned the pipes around and them posted back to me in a matter of days - a service second to none!

All in time for my trip to RSP on Tuesday for a map tweak :D

Attachments

·
Seasoned member
2,096 Posts
still polishing?

hello Any, just wondering if you are still polishing/trading on here:)
need some items doing:)

thanks
kieran

201 - 219 of 219 Posts