Skyline Owners Forum banner

161 - 180 of 219 Posts

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Thanks very much matey, was a pleasure. Looks fantastic! I received your standard parts by the way, no probs. Thanks again Terry, pleasure! Hopefully see it in real life at the shows this year!

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
These were the most challenging set of wheels iv done, they are american wheels off a hot rod and are over 35 years old.

They dont look to bad from the distance i took the photo, but the customer had them fully shot blasted with a very corse blast, possibly sharp sand! They were very rough, like the surface of the edge of a house brick. Lots of material had to be removed from the full surface of the wheels to get them smooth before i could think about the polishing stages, most areas of the wheels over 2 mm worth of material had to come off to get out all the deep blasting.

Also, to make them more difficult, back then they made their wheels out of very tough alloy, they didnt have the light weight material we have today, so lots and lots and lots of sanding and smoothing was needed before i could start the polishing stages.

The customer had them blasted to get a certain effect for his hot rod but after having it done, decided to go a different direction, one extreem to another!

Made a good job of those i thought, customer was very happy and i was really pleased with the results.

·
Pist'n'broke
1,014 Posts
That is if i can swear ****ing awesome!!!!

Any pictures showing the blanked off side? Shame the welds arent filled on the new intake side with the hole showing on the top. But the shine and quality of work makes up for it.

No where is the photo showing you after polishing? haha

·
Pist'n'broke
1,014 Posts
Just seen the post with the wheels was going to say they looked like wolfrace alloys same as i have on my Reliant Scimitar.

Very very tough alloys you have done a cracking job mate brilliant stuff.

·
pedaltothemetal
972 Posts
hi mate as soon as you sort out the prices for plenum hard pipes etc could you post or pm them to me amazing work !!

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #169 (Edited)
That is if i can swear ****ing awesome!!!!

Any pictures showing the blanked off side? Shame the welds arent filled on the new intake side with the hole showing on the top. But the shine and quality of work makes up for it.

No where is the photo showing you after polishing? haha
thanks very much matey, no unfortunatly i didnt take a pic of the blanked off side prior to polishing, i do a few modded plenums that people send me that have been modded and people want them mirror polishing also, this was a very neat one, someones handy with a grinder and an alloy welder!

Oh and no, lol, forgot to take a pic of me after a day of polishing, but im usually so black that im unrecognisable, i'll do it for a laugh when i remember.....

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Just seen the post with the wheels was going to say they looked like wolfrace alloys same as i have on my Reliant Scimitar.

Very very tough alloys you have done a cracking job mate brilliant stuff.
Thats right, i believe they are called wolfrace slot mags, and yes they were megga tough, and heavy, arms like lead after swinging them round for a day on the polishing stages, because the alloy was so hard i had to add another polishing stage into my process and mix a slightly different compound for in between my origenal stages, a compound that i usually use in my steel polishing process, they were that hard.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cheers for the pipes Andy...The pipes look fantastic will post up pics of engine bay when i get a chance... Old ones are on their way back to you today...

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Cheers Phil_Ai! Really glad you are happy with them, cheers for the prompt return, i'll let you know when i get them.

Were they really Phill, wow, well i have put lots of work into making sure i use the best combination of products available, and work out a process of which to use them so i get the best results, as the better the finish obviously the better it looks, but also the longer it lasts and the easier it is to maintain for my customers.

(this is where I sound very sad, sorry but it is my hobby, lol!)I am always testing different compounds and processes, On that plenum i used a 6 stage process, with 4 different compounds to get that finish which is probably as good as the quality of the alloy will allow, that’s the process that I am using on all the br25 plenums and intake pipes at the moment. I am currently using compounds from Germany, the best that i can get hold of. That finish should last 3-4 months before it starts to go dull, and when it does, should take no more that 2 minutes to get it back like that with peek liquid alloy polish.

Cheers littlewozzer, yours will be exactly the same matey.

·
Registered
434 Posts
they look amazing, what kind of grit level do you go up to before polishing?

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Cheers iwannavr - This depends on what part i'm doing and what the alloy is like on that part, but usually between 400 and 800 grit, the prep is just as important as the polishing, the surfaces have got to be very smooth and flat, if not, the polishing will highlight the lumps and dips and it will look dented, and you have to go back to abrasive stages and do it all again.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
some great work there bud..

i posted littlewozzers modded plenum to you yesterday, not sure if he told you to expect it or not...
it wasnt sent next day delivery so may not land while saturday or tuesday cos of easter.

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Cheers matey! Ahh it was you was it, nice neat job there, nice work. Yeah i was expecting it, it came yesterday afternoon and will be finished tomorrow

161 - 180 of 219 Posts