Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Great to be a member, signed up earlier, now back from work and got time to have a good look round.

I am kind of an Impostor, as im not a skyline owner.....yet! Having been obsessed with cars, power and speed since before passing my test the skyline was allways at the top of the wish list between me and my friends.

Having modified / done up a vw polo gt, g40, then the corrado g60, i decided i needed more power! A call to the insurance for a quote on an r33 gtr was made, to my surprise it was £1400 fully comp, i thought it would be more like £2400 as im 22 with 2 years no claims! But i checked and they confirmed, so it was now looking like ownership of the infamous GTR could become reality!

I decided now was the time, the corrado g60 went up for sale last week and i have today recieved a deposite, and arranged collection and exchange of car and cash for next weekend. I will be very sad to see the corrado go as iv got it perfect in every way, but onwards and upwards as they say.

So with the addition of a loan that i will be recieving shortly im after an r33 gtr, and have about 10k to spend, but know very little about them as iv been a vw man untill now, hance one of the reasons im here, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just a few questions to start, what are the differences between the gtr and the gtr vspec, i have an idea but wanted to get it confirmed? Is it worth holding out for a vspec and passing up a very tidy gtr? Would the turbos definatly need replacing / re-furbing at 65k on an r33 gtr vspec? (iv seen a gun metal grey gtr v-spec on ebay within my budget, its done 68k but no turbo work mentioned, whats your oppinions? and what mpg will a standard r33 gtr give?

Thanks very much in advance, Andrew

·
Registered
812 Posts
welcome bud :), i think the only difference in the v-spec is the suspention ,, its ment to be stiffer, but im sure others wil confirm that as i dont know my self,, but theres plentty to search and a buyers guide on the forum,,

where did u get that quote from mate,,, what company ????? i want a quote like that :)

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate! Yeah i heard the suspention was stiffer, they had the addition of a rear diff cooler???? and more power than the gtr, someone please confirm????

Yeah it was from adrian flux mate, i have earned one year ncb through them and one through my previous insurer, i have now been driving 3 years but dont earn my 3rd year untill feb, so 2 years no claims, 22 years old, no points, convictions, crashes ect (that they know about, had a slight incident with a telegraph pole with my first polo gt, whoops) I live in notts and would be keeping it in locked garage, ect ect and they quoted £1420 (approx) fully comp, i nearly fell off my chair!

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
im sure thr vspec has a few more goodies mate but someomne else can answer and welcome mate:wave:

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
hi andy, yr in the right place mate we are alll car nuts here mate, we do all sorts of meets...events...shows...drive outs..drift days...drag days...track days....tuition....merchandise...stickers...all the info yr ever need....a really great bunch of people...the ones ive met are completely crazy that why i felt at home here...if you have any questions just ask mate and we will do our best to help...we have an insurance deals section on the home page, but with that quote its pretty good to be honest....mpg on mine is around 25 going really easy and if im nailing it :D 4mpg.....:( . also we have a for sale section too mate and the guys here have all looked after their cars so its the right place to start mate......:D

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much mate, feel at home already! Yeah i will be keeping a very close eye on the for sale section over the next week, i dont want my hard earnd to burn a hole in the bank account now do i! Firstly i will be looking forward to buying my r33 gtr, then to coming to your meets, never been to a jap meet before!

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
the meets are pretty cool we tend to link up and go for a slow drive :D ....also some models do have oil cooled diffs, yr notice 2 oi;) l lines coming iff the diff and going to the right hand side of the rear bumper with the resovoir above it in the boot andy.....

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah looking forward to them! Right, ok, so is it all v'specs have oil cooled diffs or just some? Depend on year, ect? Is it worth holding out for a vspec and passing up a very tidy gtr, in your oppinion? Ps.really enjoying the forum! But i still have alot to learn as i know everything about mk2 golfs and corrados, but very very little about skylines! That will change!

·
Seasoned Member
6,127 Posts
welcome andy take your time picking the skyline you want and dont panic buy i spent months looking for the one i want oh and i hope you have a big slush fund lol

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
not sure exactly what models have them andy, i can find out tomorrow mate, my preference is a gts, they are far cheaper to modify and 2 wheel drive as i like to hang the rear out :D the only gtr that can run either 2 or 4 wheel drive is the 32, the 33 and 34 models are permanently....;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts