Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
drove to kent this morning to pick my new carbon bootlid up whoohoo.(ziax)
car ran like a dream for all 280 miles till i got home and went to the petrol station to fill up.

started her up after filling up and the hicas light stayed on and i now have no power steering either. can't see any leaks and there appears to be sufficient ps fluid.

would these issues be linked? cos i thought the hicas was electric on my car.
car is a spec 1 r33 gtst.

any help would be great cos its ruining a good day!

cheers
mark

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
yes the faults are linked as it has speed sensitive pas, and its all tied in together. My money is on the fluid level, as mine looked fine but after adding a little more it was back to full operation again

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll double check tomorrow in daylight then.

got a driftworks hicas eliminator kit to fit as well this week. i've heard you need to pull the hicas fuse to get rid of the dash light but leave the hicas ecu in? does this sound right?

cheers for your help.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
ps wil probable be the fluid level as stated above..

for the hicas light you have a few options... remove the bulb, cut a wre(do a search) on the hicas ecu, buy a electronic box of trickery that plugs in somwhere and kills the light or do what i did and put a bit of black electric tape over the light on the dash panel.

downside to my method is passengers can still see the light and will keep asking what it is..

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
ps wil probable be the fluid level as stated above..

for the hicas light you have a few options... remove the bulb, cut a wre(do a search) on the hicas ecu, buy a electronic box of trickery that plugs in somwhere and kills the light or do what i did and put a bit of black electric tape over the light on the dash panel.

downside to my method is passengers can still see the light and will keep asking what it is..
LMAO and I thought taking the bulb out was lazy !!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok checked today and fluid was fine. the power steering was also working again and the hicas light was not on.
possibly just didn't appreciate the long drive? first time i've driven it more than 30 miles in one go!

gonna keep an eye on it closely over the next week.

on the plus side i got my carbon bootlid fitted tonight.
just gotta get my spoiler resprayed now and then i get to drill holes everywhere!

wish me luck

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

if they're looking at your instruments mate you need to go a bit faster lol...... give em something to really worry about!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i knew someone would say that! finished wiring and retrimming the boot in the dark so it will have to wait til tomorrow.

it is proper lightweight though. fitted easily with no messing about. big up to ziax

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
i just threw my hicas ecu in the bin to get rid of the light when my lock out bar was fitted.
I still have powersteering.. just no annoying dash light..

try just unplugging the hicas ecu once you fitted the lockbar.. worth a try for minute.

·
Altered Beast!!!
753 Posts
The Hicas on the R33's onwards is electronic not hydraulic, so the fluid level won't affect it. Sounds like it want into limp mode, maybe something to do with a longer journey. Try resetting the hicas ecu, park your car up, make sure the front wheels are straight and disconnect the battery for 15 mins, reconnect and see if that cures the problem...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
yes the black tape method is lazy, i never tried unplugging the hicas ecu because im so lazy,and the black tape is doing the job just fine...

i never (hardly ever) drive fast with pasengers in.. the girls dont like it full stop!! (apart from one mental ex who then told the whole pub how fast we had gone making me look a right [email protected]) and the guys just think your showing off and then u get classed as a [email protected] its a loose loose deal....

so they tend to be bored and point out that i have a warning light on the dash illuminated..

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
The Hicas on the R33's onwards is electronic not hydraulic, so the fluid level won't affect it. Sounds like it want into limp mode, maybe something to do with a longer journey. Try resetting the hicas ecu, park your car up, make sure the front wheels are straight and disconnect the battery for 15 mins, reconnect and see if that cures the problem...
A low fluid level will bring the light on regardless if its electronic rear steering or not

·
skint but smiling
690 Posts
I had an issue with this but also the speedo cut out ,and it was a dodgy solder joint on the speedo convertor behind the dash , might be worth a look

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
yes the black tape method is lazy, i never tried unplugging the hicas ecu because im so lazy,and the black tape is doing the job just fine...

its a two second job, takes no longer than sticking a bit of black tape on the dash lol.
just reach in to the boot and take the plug out the ecu, looks kind of like a large scart lead in the back of it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cheers guys will have a look. definitely not the fluid level though as that was fine.

might try the hicas ecu unplugging tomorrow

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
just to clear a few things up a few late models of the R33GTST had lsd to which there is a resovior on the boot drivers side check the fluid level there if yrs has it, by un-plugging the hicas plug to the hicas rack doesn't stop the light, even with a lock out bar it will stay on, ive tried both methods on mine, it don't work, it has to be disable through the ecu.
i use the TAPE on the dash method lol it works for me.
As Autosaurus said try the ecu re-set, check fluid levels before you do it here...http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89954

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
cheers keith, mines a 1993 spec 1 so maybe not expecting to find any reservoirs in the boot.

is your link above for the main ecu? cos there was talk earlier in this thread of a hicas ecu which i believe lives in the boot somewhere?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts