Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else ever experienced this ?

Hicas light comes on ONLY at 1 particular bend on the same road, at exactly the same spot on almost every journey. Dual carriageway, slight bend, not the best of surfaces.

The light never comes on on any other road, seems a bit spooky :dunno:

Could it be a weird camber causing the failsafe to kick in and disable hicas ?

The road is pretty worn with tram tracks from lorries etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

R33 GTST, power steering is fine, no problem when idling. Have been on several journeys ranging from 400 mile round trip to local and it only ever does it on the same piece of road, every time.

I can say drive 50 miles in the other direction on the dual carriageway wth no problems, come back on the other side and it will always do it on the same bend, guaranteed !

I have noticed that the steering wheel is not quite aligned straight, but why the same place on the same road ?

The only other thing i've noticed is that at the same time the light comes on I get interefence from a radio transmitter of some kind over the stereo, mobile phone mast maybe. Are there any electronics on the hicas that could pick up a dodgy signal ? But on the other side of the carriageway going the opposite way past the mast, no problem :confused: :confused: :confused:

I think it's the road surface but I can't get anyone to confirm that the light will come on if the rear is losing traction because of the ruts in the road.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Mine does exactly the same thing. On my route to work it always comes on at exactly the same bend. Can't make out if it's the bend that's doing it, some sort of time delay with the HICAS which may have been struggling to work up to that point, but then stops working.
Just had the steering geometry/laser alignment done on my car, and the guy said that the HICAS will never work because my HKS suspension is too low and too hard, and is sending all the wrong signals to the HICAS sensors.
Why does it work for approx 15-20mins then, and also like yours jap-pimp, coming home the light usually stays off for the whole journey.
Don't really want to lock it off as I'd rather have it than not have it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Maroon

It's not a time delay issue, i've ruled that out as mine comes on on the way home after doing varying amount of miles and timed driving.

The suspension theory is interesting. I'm not certain but I think mine had GAB Sports suspension in Japan, but it was removed before import, maybe that has a bearing on things, although both rear shock absorbers were recently replaced and it did it before and after.

I'm starting to think that it's a dodgy camber on the road and the hicas is turning off for safety reasons, whether that means a sensor needs replacing or whether it's just doing it's job I don't know.

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
and the guy said that the HICAS will never work because my HKS suspension is too low and too hard, and is sending all the wrong signals to the HICAS sensors.
thats sounds bollocks as the sensor is located t the steering wheel mate unless others on here know differant.

and glad the alignment worked buddy:dogpile:

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
lowering the suspension will affect camber etc....but the hicas will still function as its not directly related to the wheel alignement persee. (sensor inthe steering column and reacts to input from the driver)

what the mechanic probably ment was that it may not be as effective due tothe wheels not sitting correctly onthe road...(check wear onthe tyres ..xcome lowered cars wear the inner eadge of the tyre...the solution being an adjustable set of camber arms toy get the tyre sitting onthe road inthe same attitude as a standard car , and then the hicas will perform as it should form the factory...better in fact as traction/cornering will be improved.....

something like that anyway...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts