Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
i seem 2 have a prob with my HICAS 4ws.on a straight road the back end seems 2 step out of line(shuffle). as if the back wheels are turning.quite scary at 90+mph.ive tried reseting ecu(front wheels straight)with different results.sometimes its worse,sometimes it wont do it for 30-40 miles.it only seems 2 last 20-30 seconds then its ok.

any ideas?

and can i disconnect the system some how?.ive heard of lock kits.or can you just remove the fuse!!

cheers

E

·
0 Posts
Are you sure its not just tram lining?
The hicas can be unplugged but im not sure its as simple as pulling the fuse out.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
If you have fitted an aftermarket steering wheel without the correct boss adaptor for HICAS, then this sounds like the sort of problem that others have had.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Some Thoughts

1. Did you leave the battery disconnected for at least 20 mins to reset the Hicas.

2. Uprated speakers + amps are known to upset it.

3. Check all rear suspension, rods + bushes for play.

4. Check wheel alignment

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks 4 help lads

ecu has been checked as has wheels etc.but my car does have an aftermarket steering wheel.could be that!!

others have also mentioned a link 2 the stereo upsetting the hicas sensor.could also be that!!

where can you get a boss that works with hicas?

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
From what others have said with the boss problem, the HICAS checks for a signal from the boss and when travelling along a long straight without any steering wheel input it gets itself upset if there is no feed back

·
violence IS the answer!
1,371 Posts
hey guys, my HICAS problem is thet the HICAS light comes on EXACTLY 10 miles from setting off and stays on untill i turn the engine off! any ideas would be gratefully appreciated. also ive got a nissan ECU fitted but its been tampered with by MINES, dont know what has been done to it but it revs round a lot more, would the ECU reset affect my ECU? thanx guys.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
And the award for answering the oldest post goes to................for 2003 post on hicas :dogpile: :dogpile:

Only joking there, have you been down Doncaster-Vue at all recognise your car.......

You may have a lockout bar fitted as i have had done. The light stays on saying there is a problem with the hicas even though it's not there. It's in the skip.........

To rectify it take the bulb out of the dash, i haven't got round to this though. Have a look under the back of the car and you may see this (see pic)

Don't know if re-setting your ECU would affect it, though to gain more power in the future you may have to change to a different ECU. Don't think anyone over here can "talk" to that type of fettled ECU and map for upgrades

Attachments

·
violence IS the answer!
1,371 Posts
ha,ha never even noticed the date on the post! DOH!!! and yeah that will be me down at vue. thanx for the info on the lock out bar, ill av a snoop in the morning. if its not got one then how hard are the lock out bars to fit mate?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Thought it was with that shiny red paint work-looks real clean.

As for the lockout bar it looks easy BUT. With it being rear wheel steer it will need setting up once the lockout bar is on-so everything is facing in the right direction, and not crabbing down the road.

I had mine fitted by a local mechanic along with the exhaust system.- Broke my collerbone so needed cheering up:rofl: !!

From what i remember him saying he un did one track rod end marked it then did the same with the other. Bolted the bar to the chassis then screwed the rod ends into it-there threaded on the inside when you buy the bars.

As i said before though you alter the alighnment of the car so i booked it in at Gordons over in wakefield to alighn everything up. Real proffesional outfit- 4 wheel laser/tracking machine they've got- dead impressed with them and did a spanking job:
http://www.gordonstyres.co.uk They sorted the car out when it first came in to the country and had some tyre wear issues on the front lol!

Turns out it had been knocked out slightly with the adition of the bar, once it was adjusted everything came back into line and was spot on.

So more than meets the eye with these cars when you change something!!!

·
violence IS the answer!
1,371 Posts
thanx mate, cost me £3000 to get it that shiny and clean! and thanx for the advice with the lock out bar. reckon thats gonna be one of my next purchases! you will av to shout me a holla the next time you see me in donny mate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts