Skyline Owners Forum banner

Hicas sterring wheels

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Cardiff R33 
#1 ·
Have searched this topic and have a quick query. I bought my 94 GTS-T with a Momo steering wheel and am unsure whether this has disabled my HICAS, what is the best method to test this ? Would jhave thought if it was not working the HICAS light would be illuminated, which it is not.
Thanks in advance

Ben

#5 ·
HICAS computer is on the underside of the rear parcel shelf (some times there is also an audio amp hear)

You can get a HICAS boss kit which is a metal ring that goes on the normal boss which engages with the steering angle sensor of the HICAS - you might have one of these in which your HICAS is fine.

if you dont have one then that would explain why the HICAS diagnostics special move wont work as it relies on the steering angle sensor input as part of the sequence.

Sometimes people dont bother to get a boss kit they just take the hicas bulb out.

#6 ·
will have a look when i get my clutch sorted, however my hicas light does light up, does so when i start the car, so need to check this really,what sort of difference will i notice if i aint got hicas on now but get it sorted ?? Where can i get one of these metal rings from ?? :D

#7 ·
with the hicas light on the system is locked up and you've got 2ws

hicas is a funny thing and a bit unnerving at first as it gives you an initial dollop of oversteer feeling as you go into a corner at speed. the effect is subtle and i only really notice it on the track, where you can feel it come and go in long corners as you correct your line. I quite like it - you feel like the car can be relied on to turn in at decent speeds, some dont like it tho :)

try http://www.prospec-ms.co.uk/merchandise/nismo.html i think they do a nismo boss adapter for momo steering wheels

G
#13 ·
Yes if it light's up on pre check , the bulb is still there , what he is asking is wether he has still got 4 wheel steer, with a aftermarket steering wheel , the boss kit or the tomei lock out are the only 2 real options , as the light goes out

Regards

#14 ·
Generalising here for the un-initiated.

The HICAS computer receives/interogates the steering wheel position sensor periodically along with the speed sensor etc., and makes up its little mind if all is OK, or if a bit of rear wheel steer is needed to help the ass end out.

If the steering wheel boss is not a HICAS type then it gets all confused and shouts 'foul' and chucks a light on and stops the rear wheels playing.

I have read on the down under sites that some HICAS boss kits are a poor fit and the sensor is not close enough to the postioning rim and produces the same problem as above.

The rear wheels do not move very far, certainly not like some 4 wheel steer systems which are more to do with helping parking manouvers.

Some other problems stem from major ICE install's in the boot interfering with the poor little computer and makes it chuck a wobbly (quite literally) as you are trundling along.

Hope that helps.:)

#16 ·
So we are saying if the light comes on at pre-ignition then goes out then it is likely that Cardiff has the correct boss. If no light at all then it probably means bulbs been removed and 2wd. If light is on all the time then Hicas is unhappy for some reason.

Hope that i'm understanding everything now and not annoying peeps too much! :)

#19 ·
yup vicky you've got it :) only one other variation is that HICAS comes on at ignition and goes out after a couple of secs but then comes on after 15mins or so or after driving a long straight road , this is usually the sign of the steering wheel boss problem.

lol however i did get this thread confused with another one http://skylineowners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4306 which may have caused some head scratching:)

the "special move" i refer to is a series of movements of the controls brakes / steering / gear which result in the HICAS going into diagnostic mode

#21 ·
Another easy way of knowing if the steering wheel has got the correct boss for the hicas is when indicating,the idicator arm doesn't work correctly either stays on or repeatedly gets knocked off when indicating.
The rest is like what AlexJ says,the other silly way of finding if the hicas works is by getting your car sideways you'll soon know by how quick you and the car reacts.......probably best not try this yet cos you've had enough bad luck as it is Ben.
Keep your chin up as i can see you have the worrying bug that sometimes goes with the purchase of an awesome car when one thing goes wrong and you expect everything else to go wrong.
Take the car to Lee at v-spec and he'll put your mind at rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.