Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My HICAS warning light has started coming on when I first start up in the morning, goes after about 10mins of driving... has anyone seen this before?

I am hoping it is a sensor problem as if it were mechanical I would expect the light to stay on...

Cheers,
Pad

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
Is your battery low or have you disconnected it lately?

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
When my alternator packed up on my old GTS-T the Hicas light would flash on and off continuously at different points. It was basically because the power had completely gone from the battery and the only reason the car was running was because the alternator was giving out JUST enough juice to carry the car along. Then it gave up completely. lol.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Dont think its either of those, battery hasnt been reconnected and not having any other electrical problems so assume that the battery is OK.

Someone has suggested topping up the power steering fluid, will try that and let you know if it sorts it.

Cheers,
Pad

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
In all seriousness mate do not underestimate the problem with the alternator. I had exactly the same car as you when it happened to me. Although my hicas light did not stay on continously for ten minutes after starting and then turn off it kept coming on and off while driving. The power steering kept going heavy then working again etc. I had NO other electrical problems the only clue I had to the fact the alternator was going for the first 30 miles was the steering. It was after that 30 mile trip that the car started to judder under accleration and finally came to a stop. Apparently the alternator on the GTS-T is prone to breaking but does not just break it works intermitantly making it harder to spot.

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
if you have a volt meter just check that it has over ten volts when not in use,it could be fluid level though just top it up and see.

E

·
0 Posts
If the fluid level is low you should be able to hear a rattling/grating noise if when you first start it up in the morning & quickly jiggle the steering wheel left to right about a 1/4 turn. This was driving me nuts untill i sussed out what it was.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts