Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
4,537 Posts
factory fitted reflector will pass also

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Not with a HID bulb fitted to it as it gives off the incorrect pattern that's the reason they need the projector lens to stop the light scattering and blinding other road users but like I say it depends on the tester some let them past but technically they are a fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You mean hid ballast not a bulb, you mean retro fitted. All hid bulbs are the same. Bulbs end in either R or S depending on reflector or projector

·
Administrator
25,947 Posts
All aftermarket hids are deemed off road use only and for an mot test they would fail as the skyline headlights don't lend themselves well to hids and cause excessive scatter.
If the car is fitted with hids then they should have self levelling and headlamp washers fitted however the loophole there is quite a few cars had xenons fitted as standard without levelling and washers fitted so if the hids look factory fitted then the tester can only pass and advise them if the beams are mot passable and have no scatter

Whoever said hids pass only if they are projector lenses are lieing since the Honda accord type r came with factory xenons fitted but had lenses instead of projectors.

Or have a sympathetic tester and you will be fine

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
My 34 has factory fitted xenons ha self leveling but not washers, is the washer a new addition to the test then?

·
Administrator
25,947 Posts
My 34 has factory fitted xenons ha self leveling but not washers, is the washer a new addition to the test then?

Self levelling and washers are new additions but can only really be tested on cars that came from factory with both fitted

·
Administrator
25,947 Posts
Always wondered why it passed. Learn something new every day.

Thanks

See vosa made loads of new rules but never thought about any of them just like the drivers seat that now must slide and lock in 3 separate positions or it fails,seriously? What the hell were they on.same with traction control in newer cars that if the light is on it fails as it's tied in with the abs even though the abs works as it should lol

·
Registered
117 Posts
SpeedR33per, related question; if you were to fit a complete retrofit kit - not just ballasts and bulbs, but a full lens/shroud/bulb/ballast/the whole nine, into a Skyline R33 headlight unit, would it pass and would it technically be legal? (trying to basically achieve the series 3 GTR lights without the £1000 price tag). I'm thinking of going with ones of these kits: here?

·
4,537 Posts
SpeedR33per, related question; if you were to fit a complete retrofit kit - not just ballasts and bulbs, but a full lens/shroud/bulb/ballast/the whole nine, into a Skyline R33 headlight unit, would it pass and would it technically be legal? (trying to basically achieve the series 3 GTR lights without the £1000 price tag). I'm thinking of going with ones of these kits: here?
Yes it would pass because the light pattern would be correct and no scatter, I have them on mine and the only thing wrong was they were pointing too high so I adjusted them while there, the pattern was spot on as it was meant to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Administrator
25,947 Posts
Yup as I have been running genuine Audi a6 bi-xenons for about 7 years and tyberious for many years before that,the issue you may have is a really clued up police officer if you ever get pulled and he takes an interest in The lights

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I recently retro fitted projectors and HIDs into my R33, passed MOT no problems what so ever and nice clean line/no scatter int he beam pattern.

Well worth the extra time and money, HIDs in stock units with reflectors blind the **** out of everyone coming the other way.

·
Ben Jefferies
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I recently retro fitted projectors and HIDs into my R33, passed MOT no problems what so ever and nice clean line/no scatter int he beam pattern.

Well worth the extra time and money, HIDs in stock units with reflectors blind the **** out of everyone coming the other way.

Where did you get these headlights? I have been looking but no luck!!

·
Administrator
25,947 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just for the info HIDs do NOT cause automatic failure of MOT and neither is it is a definite that you need them self levelling and washers attached. We read through and have a post on one of the BMW forums a while back about this. And as a little heads up the reason we know is because we've been in the market and have been selling for 4 going on 5 years now. No problems with any of out kits and neither have we had a complaint of MOT failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts