Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I took delivery of my R33 GTR several weeks ago, yesterday I started playing with the HKS ETC ( it was on the car already )
Anyway, I figuered out how to use it in 'AUTO' mode, but have yet to know what the 'OPTION' mode does.
Can anyone explain this please. I have the manual but its in Japanese, which I can't read.

Thanx for any info

Irving
GTR. . .

·
Registered
53 Posts
I presume you're talking about the EVC (electronic valve controller). ETC doesn't exist.

Careful as you fiddle; it would be easy to overdo the boost and not get fuelling right and damage your car.

different instructions depend on what model EVC you have. check
http://www.hksusa.com/FAQ/?id=1702

·
Registered
23 Posts
No, the man does indeed mean an HKS ETC (Electronic Torque-split Controller)

AFAIK they are no longer made and data on them always was pretty thin on the ground. As embarrassing as it is, I don't have any data on working them at all. A pretty poor answer seeing as we have been selling HKS parts in the UK for some 10 years now.

Have you tried HKS USA? I used to deal with Gabe but I think he ran off a while back.

Cheers,

Nathan
TDI PLC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx, but I've searched everywhere for instructions but they are all in Japanese . . . Oh Well, gonna try Trail & Error till I firgure it out :)

Thanx again

Irving
GTR . . .

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
there are translation devices you can use, like babel fish, not sure how to use them myself though!

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
email me details of what it is, i might have a copy in english I can provide for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Note sure if I remember corectly....... but I think Gary has one fitted in the beast so it might be worth dropping him a PM

·
Registered
34 Posts
A collection of stuff from other forums.......

The torque splitter has three knobs from left to right,
switch s off,auto and manual(rwd), this controls the function.
sets the torque that is active for the 4 wheel, in percentage low med and full on.
sets the fine tuning of the selected torque split between selected torque.
This unit does not function below 15kph

The Drag adapter has two knobs left to right
on , off, auto.
and speed in kph at which the controler works set I think in increments of 50 kph

No Manual just worked it out from testing my car

First off - a question for you ..

Do you fully understand how the ATTESA system works ?

I mean fully understand.

How the G-sensors , the computer , the wheel sensors, the whole thing works together ?

By altering the signals from the G- sensors for instance you can change how fast or how slow the power gets transfered to the front wheels.

So if you want to get big long drifts - you "slow down" the torque transfer to the front. If you want AWD "push" then you bring the front torque in "fast"....

The ETC you have 3 dials . One is a 3 postion - On , Off , Option.

Then you have a fine and gross torque to the front. 0-50 in 10 splits. 0-10 in 1 splits.

Half of what helps get a farily stock GT-R off the line is the fact it launches like a rear wheel drive car - the rear wheels spin and the car doesn't bog... then the front wheels come in and the car pulls itself though. As the car goes down the strip the front wheels come out of the equation and the front wheels/driveline are just along for the ride....

Now once you start making real power say 900-1000 at the wheels - dynamics change......

600 hp - high 10 seconds I think you can do fine with the stock setup...

Most people do burnouts on street tires - which actually makes them more slick. You need a tire that likes heat - not a street tire...

They just want to "look cool"... but to me they look like idiots... and I let them know that...

If you launch a 700 hp GT-R at 50/50 you will be soon replacing front diffs and front axles.....

Well unless you do something that I wont say...cant say....not right now...

Option position is for the EDA Drag Adaptor....... that is at a certain speed - it turns off torque to the front wheels......man now I have to go and explain that thing too ???

Thats more or less all it does... allows you to launch say 20/80 and then at say 100 km/hr - turn off the fronts and make it 0 front and 100 rear.

I made some mistakes on what I said about the ETC.....

I looked at my notes...

The 3 dials - the one is on , off ,and auto.

The fine dial has the option and the 1-9 on it.

Off is normal

On is whatever torque is split goes to the front all the time...

Auto is at 15km/hr the set torque goes to the front.

I will scan some stuff.... and put up some real English instructions one day.....

I don't know right now where it gets the 15 km/hr reading from.... cause it can pick it up from a few places...

from HKS Japan's website
In the ETC there are 3 modes at OFF, ON, AUTO and all.
* With OFF mode it becomes normal control completely, setting of the ETC is ignored.
* With ON mode the maximum torque value which can be transmitted to the front wheel (the limiter), usually reaches command of the ETC. However, it changes to normal control at the time of ABS operation.
* With AUTO mode vehicle speed below the 15km/h normal control and the above that it becomes the control with the command of the ETC. However, it changes to normal control at the time of ABS operation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Excellent info lightspeed!!

Just found out they are in fact still available if anyone is interested:

R32: £495.00
R33: £525.00

The drag adaptor (same one for both models) is £125.00

Prices exclude VAT.

Best regards,

Nathan.
TDI PLC