Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

As the title says, the end has arrived, my engine is now finished and is now ficked. Couple of ends on the way out by the sounds being made by the the engine so its the end of the road for this engine in my R34. Thought I would post this up on here for all to see what I have been able to acheive from this engine.

Firstly, its sudden demise was expected about 7000 miles ago, it was built in April 2002 I think it was and covered 22000 miles since in this spec or at least its tuned 600 hp target spec. Previous to the tunig work in April, the engine had covered 9000 miles in standard form. At the time of building the new spec, I decided that I would not change the bottom end at all due to the limited mileage the engine had covered and therefore decided to build around the standard bottom end and get my moneys worth out of it and when it blows up, change it for full steel. Well, the time is here, the bottom end is giving up in a particularly graceful style - slowly but iminent and therefore the engine will now be changed and built again to as further specification which I desire.

Therefore, using a base of HKS GT2530 turbines, I have acheived the following results and believe that I could get a little more, but not much if I continued :-

432 bhp at the wheels, 592 flywheel conversion figure
2450 lbs of tractive effort which converts to 510ish ft lbs of torque
1.4 bar of boost at 4000 rpm, managed total boost of 1.75 peak but not holding and backing of to 1.55-1.6bar and just lately down to 1.5bar. The power figures above were run at 1.5 bar of boost although the car spiked to 1.65 but held at 1.5bar.
Max RPM was 8500 rpm although max power was at 7900 from memory. Engine lasted all this time mostly being taken to 8500rpm most days throughout its 22000 miles history.

Performance time wise I have achieved this :-

0-60 - 2.98 seconds
1/4 mile 11.5 seconds
top speed indicated on Speedo 215 MPH
Ten of the best result over 1.2 miles, 178 mph thru the trap

These performance results can and were affected by the cars setup of course but the engine plays the most important part.

In this months Japanese Performance magazine there is a small article and write up on this car with all the specs so you can see the fine /mod details there save me posting them up.

So there you go, thats what I have got out this conversion, so very pleased to have achieved so much, just as it got perfected, it gave in due to me not installing the full steel bottom end in the first place, but very much expected and not disappointed with it giving in at all as it should have given up earlier really. My only regret ius the new engine which is being / has been being built is not ready yet so the cars off the road for a month or so, today I cleaned it, dried it, emptied out my CD's and put the cover over it until its unleashed once again, watch this space.

I will have a few parts for sale from this engine when I have decided the fine details of the new spec but the turbines will defo be up for grabs.

Andy Barnes, owner of what used to be the quickest skyline 0-60 mph!

See you at Santa Pod suckers!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just goes to prove how strong the standard RB26 bottom end is with good tuning / mapping, given the abuse the engine has been subjected to, rev limiter clutch dumps, 8500 rpm on the motor way ;) etc. Good luck mate, can't wait to see the new engine in action.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Gutted!

Just kidding! Am impressed it's lasted this long considering the miles and abuse....

Luke

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep

Its knackered but a new engine is being built already using one of my spare engines.

It just goes to show ( which is why I posted this info ) how far a standard bottom end will go, I know of at least a handfull of cars which have more, much more mods than this and have lasted less than a quarter of this mileage on modded bottom ends. I have pushed the standard crank rods and pistons to the limit and this how far you can push em, even now its only spun the bearings but no doubt once stripped there will be some ' ficking hell, look at that bit there!, its ficked! '

The next engine will not be a monster, I want 600 bhp but not so highly strung so will probably have a turbine which is slightly bigger, maybe the RS's, if not 2540's or something, whatever I grab off the shelf:D but nothing outragious.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keith

PM?

No I didnt:(

Send again or you can always call me, will be up for another half hour or so.

·
Member No 2.
666 Posts
Monster

Andy,
Look forward to seeing the new motor when its done, Any plans for any meets in the future?, Sure Guy will do an excellent job for you.

PaulP.

·
Registered
40 Posts
funny that :)

Yes sorry,

Out of the skyline thing.

Not had any parts for sale for ever!!

goodluck all

d

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Good on Andy, and a decent write up as ever. Nice to see what it comes down to when someone is prepared to see how much one of these will take before things go all wibbly.

Strole on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts