Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
I got my HKS SSQV fitted last weekend, had a custom pipe made up, and a flange welded on in the place of the normal recirc valve. Been out for a quite a drive today and have noticed that since fitting the ssqv I get a severe juddering kangarooing motion when I'm slightly accelerating or lifting my foot lightly off the accelerator and hold in that position.

Example, I'll drive in 3rd slowly increasing revs, so foot not planted, and held in same position - reach around 3.5k and its as if the ssqv doesn't k know if it should be open or closed - so I'm getting the kind of chatter/dump sound over and over and the car kangaroos. The only way to stop that quickly is to let off the accerator completley. Made for an uncomfortable ride today (but still fun). when I give it some beans, it will pull fine, but the moment I start to ease off the accelerator it happens - so again need to take my foot off completley and let it vent before trying again.

Its the 2nd Version of the ssqv, which as I understand has no adjustment screw on it.

The car holds boost fine (when giving it some).

I've checked the pipe fitting onto the ssqv, and thats on tight.

I'm running a power fc which was mapped with the standard recirc - would that cause such severe effects?

Next step will be to remove the ssqv from the flange and ensure its fitted correctly, check that theres no cracks/gaps in the weld surrounding the flange, and lastly I'll double check the wastegate pipe is securley bunged - could any of these cause this issue?

I've got my standard recirc which I'll probably end up sticking back on to make sure - but I'm 99% certain this is only happening since fitting the ssqv, and it'll bug me untill I find out why its not working for me :(

Anybody had this problem? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Lee

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
i get the same thing,although i already had the ssq on when i bought the car and it didnt do it before i fitted the front mount,its down to the extra turbluence inside the ic pipes imo,at low throttle the ssq stays shut so you get the air buffeting back around the intake

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Koh - have you left yours on? If it is due to that, sounds like nothing can be done about it. Makes the car seriously undriveable with it continuously kangarooing like that, and surely can't be doing it any good - I mean the severity of the lurches it I guess could cause all kinds of stress on the engine & components :( shake rattle and roll

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah right, this is quite severe and happens way too often for my liking - will have to give you a quick spin in it so you see what I mean... not good :(

·
Number 1 Monkey
591 Posts
I would have said that you are running too much preload on the valve itself. Since you do not have a bolt / screw to adjust I would look at the vacum hose for the top of the valve unit as well as what you have proposed to see if there are any issues there.

This is a pull type BOV so it uses the vacum line to see when you let off boost. IIRC the standard SSQV valve has 2 internal valves. A small unit that operates under light throttle loads and a larger unit for full throttle loads. It could be a fault with the smaller valve in the unit.

The RACING version is a different design - it has a single pull valve that HKS recommend is used on vehicles with up to 3bar of boost. Preload on these valves is done by fitting different strength springs available from HKS.

You have the new SSQV - I wonder if you could use the racing valve springs with it to compensate for the lack of preload adjustment? May be worth emailing HKS.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys - going to have to wait untill the weekend to get chance to get it off. Will take some pics of the piping etc whilst in the process and post back. I doubt it makes any difference, but it is the HKS Limited Edition Black version.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
ooooo! i used to get this problem over a year ago.. couldnt hold a constant throttle at high rpms without it stuttering, theres a thread on it here somewhere, i thought i was the only one.

It made no difference what preload i set on the BOV, i even changed from the SSQV to a Turbosmart and it still did it (also tried some other make too). I had Thor and MGT take a look to no avail. (I had it reconnected it various ways to see if it would cure it, i had different higher tension springs and even washers on top fitted and STILL it kept opening)

In the end the problem stopped completely when i replaced the following.
The ECU (for a standalone)
The Throttlebody for a larger one
The intake plenum for a GTR type (which removed all the piping where the BOV used to go)
The Manifold for a topmount
The Turbo for a larger one
and removed the AFM altogether

while im not suggesting you do the same, it did suggest the problem wasnt with the BOV but possibly the Ecu or AFM

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eeeek! Cheers Rich B. Think I need to get it upto RSP anyhow to have the map/timing etc checked. Perhaps they'll have an idea - in the meantime think I'll stick the standard recirc back on.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Yeah, starts and won't stop untill I release throttle. Bloody thing!
or flooring it right..
def same problem i had. so annoying..
meant i couldnt drop a gear and hold a constant throttle like when youre waiting for a gap to overtake..

soooo glad its gone now!! you forget how annoying these things are once its gone!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
or flooring it right..
def same problem i had. so annoying..
meant i couldnt drop a gear and hold a constant throttle like when youre waiting for a gap to overtake..

soooo glad its gone now!! you forget how annoying these things are once its gone!
Yeah thats the badger - went for a great drive Sunday up through mid Wales, and had this dreaded problem, was driving me mad, but was more worried about it doing damage.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
seeing as youve already got rid of the standard ecu..
worth a try.. disconnect your AFM and see if it still does it. I'm guessing the car may run like a bag-o-sh.. with it disconnected but does it stop the constant throttle stutter..?

its about the only thing i didnt try,
and like i said after a had the big top mount conversion fitted (which included ditching the AFM) its been perfect ever since.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took a pic of the plumbing into the ssqv last night. Could you experts have a quick glance and tell em if its ok? It was all setup like this when I had the car, I just replaced the standard recirc, and added a stainless pipe it connects to:

Ordered some new hoses so in the process I'm going to replace them all.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sorry yeah - I was going to point that out - its going to a HKS Boost controller.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Ok I'm using the stock boost gauge port from the back of the plenum to connect to my HKS EVC boost controller, so both connections are straight, uninterrupted. I don't know if it will make any difference.

To be honest I had exactly the same problem as you with any aftermarket bov I've tried (SSQV, GReddy RS, Blitz SS, Synchronic, tried them all!).

The problem I had was that at part throttle, 3rd or 4th gear, keeping the gas pedal steady let's say at 0.5bar the car would kangaroo and the turbo would make a surge noise. Also when lifting the foot off the gas pedal very slowly, the car would kangaroo again once to get off-boost then settle...

I tried to find the problem:

1. The hose that connects the intake to the compressor side of the turbo was a bit loose, that got rid of the weird surge sound while boosting.

2. The aftermarket bovs seemed to fluctuate between open/close state very fast as if there was enough vaccum to pull them open (which wasn't the case as there was 0.5bar boost in the plenum).

I got rid of all aftermarket bovs I've tried and reverted back to the stock one... Guess what? Car feels soooo smooth.

I hope this helps :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts