Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Ive been wondering about this for a while now and have decided to put a thread up about it. I installed a ball bearing turbo there a while ago and when i did i was told to fit new unrestricted oil lines, banjo bolts etc. When i recieved the lines, the bolt i got that fits into the top side of the turbo (oil line) didnt seem to fit. So i just drilled the standard one out.
My question is, that if the standard turbo is a journal/sleeve bearing turbo and has a restrictor in it, why would the ball bearing turbo require more? If you were overloading a turbo with too much oil, what would happen?
thanks for any replies in advance.

·
Always Seeking Perfection
1,616 Posts
I read that a ball bearing turbo reqires less oil... dont ask me why??? i dont see why you should need less oil, the more the better i think to keep it cool.

Im sure some pro's on here will have an answer

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers bud, just dont want to be swamping my turbo in oil :) yep bud, they are supposed to need very little oil, if the turbo is water cooled as well.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
You are supposed to replace the standard oil feed line and banjo bolts when fitting a journal/thrust bearing turbo, but not when fitting a ball bearing one. Ball bearing turbos don´t need much oil, you can reuse the standard lines and banjo bolts. Or sometimes they come with own oil lines and banjos, but these normally still are not as unrestrictive as the ones you fitted now.

Where did you buy the tubby from?
And who said to use unrestricted oil line and banjos with it?

Just askin as I might be wrong, but I doubt as I talked to a couple of turbo builders regarding this and all said about the same.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i thought so, conceptua said to use the unrestricted ones. Ive got the braided line and all attached now. Would you reccomend getting a standard bolt then? Im not saying conceptua are not good at what they do, think they are great but i still always had a nigling about the unrestricted bolt. Any advise on what to do or where to get a correctly restricted oil feed bolt?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers koh, and what symptoms would that give off? sorry, just havent had oddles of turbo cars. This turbo has an increased a/r so it felt different from the standard one straight away. So would it be bad for the bearings to have them drenched in oil all the time? Oh and anyone any ideas where to get the standard restricted bolt?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts