Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an R33GTST with an HKS turbo timer fitted. It worked fine when I got it but after playing around and fitting a new headunit the timer no longer works.

Are these an easy thing to trace the problem? Would it just be a blown fuse? and would fitting a headunit mean that it has been disconnected in some way?

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
Are these an easy thing to trace the problem? Would it just be a blown fuse? and would fitting a headunit mean that it has been disconnected in some way?
Why don't YOU have a look? You're the one who has just been behind the dash. None of us know how difficult its going to be to fix the problem nor do we know if you have shorted out any wires.
Get a test light or multimeter (you should already have one as you did just fit a stereo) and start testing for power or failing that, just have a look. It might be a plug thats been bumped loose.
Simple.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have a look, I have no trouble doing that, I asked for some advice before I went messing around though. I didn't fit the headunit myself as I had trouble with the ariel and I wasn't there when it was fitted.

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
but after playing around and fitting a new headunit the timer no longer works.
I asked for some advice before I went messing around though. I didn't fit the headunit myself
Apologies, but from what you said I thought you were the one who fitted the stereo
(ps - the aerial thing is easy to deal with... flick me a pm if ya need any future audio help :) )

It almost certainly won't be a blown fuse, if it was something else in your car wouldn't work and you would know about it!
Fitting a head unit has absolutely zero to do with a TT, but if the TT is using some of the wiring from behind the stereo a wire or two may have been bumped loose (or not reconnected) or whoever fitted the stereo saw extra random wiring and foolishly cut it. I have done this, but I always make sure I know what the random wiring does to make sure it can be disconnected (usually obsolete wiring from sat nav systems).
Is there any chance you can take it back to the person that installed the stereo? Coincidences do happen, but it seems more likely the TT problem is related to the fitting of the stereo which makes this problem the stereo installers problem!

Bottom line is, it's probably a very easy fix but its impossible to speculate as to what exactly the problem is and how easy it is to fix it.
Hope that helps :)

T

·
0 Posts
Trace the thin black wire that comes from the unit and make sure it's connected to a ground point. :D

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apologies, but from what you said I thought you were the one who fitted the stereo
(ps - the aerial thing is easy to deal with... flick me a pm if ya need any future audio help :) )

It almost certainly won't be a blown fuse, if it was something else in your car wouldn't work and you would know about it!
Fitting a head unit has absolutely zero to do with a TT, but if the TT is using some of the wiring from behind the stereo a wire or two may have been bumped loose (or not reconnected) or whoever fitted the stereo saw extra random wiring and foolishly cut it. I have done this, but I always make sure I know what the random wiring does to make sure it can be disconnected (usually obsolete wiring from sat nav systems).
Is there any chance you can take it back to the person that installed the stereo? Coincidences do happen, but it seems more likely the TT problem is related to the fitting of the stereo which makes this problem the stereo installers problem!

Bottom line is, it's probably a very easy fix but its impossible to speculate as to what exactly the problem is and how easy it is to fix it.
Hope that helps :)

Sorry if I did not make myself clear, I did not personally fit the headunit.

I know that fitting a headunit should not interfere with the TT so it looks like I will have to get the headunit back out and get a look at any wiring that has been modified.

Trace the thin black wire that comes from the unit and make sure it's connected to a ground point. :D
Will do ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts